When searching for a job, many use online resources. They post information about vacancies, salaries, work schedules and requirements for an employee. But some employers initially asked not to send a resume to the post office, but to call. And many job applicants do not know how to conduct a dialogue in this case.
Sometimes a call precedes a meeting with a job candidate
Due to the lack of knowledge about conducting a telephone conversation, you may not get into the desired company. The applicant may have rich experience in the necessary industry and be a highly qualified employee, but not be able to negotiate. Accordingly, the first impression of him will be spoiled. And he is unlikely to be invited to an interview.
How to prepare for a call
Having seen the desired vacancy, do not call immediately. Prepare in advance:
- company information sheet,
- diplomas, resumes, certificates, etc.
Do not forget to think over the questions that you will ask the employer. You can write them on a piece of paper. A notebook and pen are necessary, because often you have to write something on the go: contact details, a list of documents for the device, etc. Mobility is an excellent and important quality.
Having found and studied information about the company, the applicant can note during the conversation its strengths, good market position, and positive feedback. This may be his advantage.
Do not forget about emotions. Employers note that in 80-90% of situations a successful conversation depends on the emotional component. Do not go to extremes and show yourself too happy or pessimistic.
Keep calm. A trembling voice, uncertain answers, a high timbre make a negative impression on the employer, show the interlocutor a weak and notorious person. And nobody needs such employees. Remember, image is an important indicator in the selection.
Pick up the phone. They call you!
When the phone rings, we automatically pick up the phone and answer the usual "Hello!".
Is this enough to start a conversation?
Let's see what telephone etiquette says.
First of all, we draw a dividing line between business and personal contacts.
The moment that unites all conversations is politeness, restraint, and possession of a voice.
Your interlocutor cannot see what you are doing on the other side of the handset. But the slightest intonation gives out irritation, hostility, grief and other emotions.
What you need to report when calling
Starting a conversation like this, say hello. This is an obligatory rule of good form; it will indicate the upbringing of the applicant. If you know the name of the interlocutor, do not forget to voice it. Check if the recruiter is busy, can he talk to you right now.
Introduce yourself and explain that you are calling for a job announcement. Indicate the desired vacancy, because the employer may have several. It is advisable to name the source on which they saw the ad.
The next stage is answers to the questions of the employer. If there is no work experience, indicate the following qualities:
- easily trained,
- interested in the development and work in this industry,
- there is a great desire to master the specified profession,
- creative in solving tasks
- I have great performance, etc.
If you have work experience, you still need to show that the applicant is endowed with energy and the desire to work hard. Do not forget to talk about your main professional skills.
Ads are uninformative. In them almost nothing is written about the requirements for the future employee, salary level, work schedule. Be sure to ask about it.
But remember, at the beginning of a conversation, asking about the level of payment is bad form. Ask this question at the middle or end of the conversation.
Sample list of questions:
- what is the job
- are there any age restrictions
- what responsibilities will need to be fulfilled,
- how is the salary calculated (bonuses, bonuses, rate,%, etc.),
- where is the place of work, etc.
You can ask whether you need to undergo a probationary period, internship, training, introduction to the position to get a job. Check their duration and availability of payment.
The success of the conversation depends on the mood, concentration, ability to express thoughts. Practice will help to overcome the fear of phone calls. Talk to your family more often by phone.
The question of salary should be raised at the end of the conversation.
What you need to refrain from during a call
You can’t lie. If there is no work experience, then one should not be convinced of the opposite. You should not name personal qualities that are not.
Do not ask about formal employment. In most cases, employers either lie or shy away from an answer. This can be found out already at the interview.
Do not interrupt the recruiter. Due to frequent breaks in the conversation, he may decide that you are an ill-mannered person.
Be prepared to answer questions. The following replicas are excluded:
- “I do not want to answer this question,”
- “It's personal,”
- “Is it really important,”
- “Why do you need such information”,
- "I see no reason to answer this stupid question,"
- “Why ask this,” etc.
If the applicant is sure that the question is incorrect, then first you need to apologize. And then inform that the requested information does not apply to the vacancy.
Avoid excessive officialdom. A person with a tense tone and a strange speech does not cause sympathy. Ask questions in a confident voice, concisely and briefly.
Forget about parasitic words. They will recommend the applicant as an incompetent employee. Literate speech is an indicator of professionalism.
You need to talk only with an "empty mouth": you can not eat, smoke, drink in the process of conversation.
Try to speak a pure language. Forget about surzhik, jargon. It is better not to use terms and unfamiliar, foreign words. This can create an awkward situation.
"Hello" in a businesslike way
They call you on your work phone. Do not grab the handset after the first beep. This can create the impression of the person calling you that you simply do not have other things to do than answer the phone. This is not only your reputation. A conversation will leave an impression of the credibility of the entire organization. Answer by waiting for two or three rings to sound. But in no case more. The rules of telephone etiquette do not allow in this way to show disrespect to the person.
Immediately starting a conversation with the company name is not recommended. Greeting the caller is best neutral phrase "Good day!" This time of day is considered the main working day. In other cases, you can use the appeal "Hello!"
A prerequisite for a business conversation is joining the greeting of the so-called voice “business card”. This may be the name of the organization or your personal data - position, name and surname.
Ideally, the greeting scheme would look like this: “Good afternoon! The company "Sun"! "Or" Good day! The company "The Sun". Manager Olga Sergeeva. ”
A well-arranged answer to the call will initiate a successful pleasant conversation. It will create a good impression of the organization, emphasize its status and give solidity. It is always a pleasure to deal with educated people. Therefore, the impression made will be able to play a significant role in future cooperation.
Features of “search” calls
Such calls are made if the person does not have enough information about the vacancies, and he would like to clarify something. Their goal is to interest the employer. This is necessary if you want to receive an invitation to an interview or a job.
Make a plan in advance to talk with a potential employer over the phone. Think about what and in what order you want to ask. An example plan looks like this:
- The purpose of the call.
- Own questions.
- Responses to recruiter requests.
- The appointment of the meeting.
The order of steps may vary. The main thing is to behave confidently.
Initially, find out who is responsible for processing the resume and recruiting. Most often these are HR managers. Find out his name If you name a person by name, you can reduce the psychological distance between the interlocutors. The applicant will not waste time searching for another candidate and will be able to immediately ask about the possibility of finding the right employee.
Be sure to seek the attention of your boss. Do not settle for a conversation with another employee, this increases the likelihood of failure.
When this step has been successfully completed, provide a brief information about yourself. Indicate name, age. Tell us about personal qualities, professional skills, work experience. Highlight your strengths. Do not make the story too long so as not to tire the recruiter.
Be sure to explain your interest in the vacancy and the desire to work in this organization. The main thing is not to overdo it.
Ask if there are vacancies now, whether they will be in the future. Agree to bring or send resumes if they appear.
Immediately agree that you call again to find out whether the resume and copies of documents have arrived. Ask when to do it.
Additionally, you can ask if the employer does not know similar companies where you can get a job. There are recruiters who monitor the labor market and can refer to other organizations.
Types of interviewers
You can understand what type of interlocutor is in front of the applicant from the first phrases. There are such recruiters:
- Active. Immediately takes the initiative in their own hands. Communicates lively, has a positive attitude. He behaves politely, because of which the atmosphere of the conversation is favorable. He immediately asks questions of interest. Can present a company. Briefly talks about working conditions. Indicates the approximate salary, work schedule, location of the company, etc. Mentioned of career opportunities. From the applicant, he needs only clear answers to the questions posed. Most often, quickly invites for an interview. In a conversation with him, it is important not to miss the moment and ask the employer about the points of interest.
- Passive. When the applicant greets and voices the purpose of the call, he does not show interest in this. A certain neglect and arrogance is felt in the voice. In a conversation with such a person, questions prepared in advance will greatly help. When asked about the vacancy, in response you can hear: "Everything is indicated in the announcement." Then you need to ask specific questions to clarify the necessary information.
Remember, if the conversation is going badly, it is better to end it. If the company is really interested in finding qualified personnel, then the attitude towards the interlocutor will be appropriate. If the recruiter does not show much interest, think about whether such work is needed, and what is the position of this company. Perhaps it is better to find another option.
The recruiter may take an active or passive position.
Calling about work for the first time can be scary. But fear cannot be shown. You need to be confident and positive. Preparation is the key to success. Create a list of questions in advance, think over the answers, put a pen and a sheet of paper next to you.
Calling employers should not forget the rules of good form. During the conversation, do not chew, do not drink, do not use parasitic words, profanity. Create the most profitable impression of yourself. The purpose of the applicant is to receive an invitation to an interview or a job, to interest the recruiter.
You dialed the company number and received a standard greeting response. You also need to introduce yourself. If you represent an organization, indicate its name and your position. Next, summarize the essence of the appeal. You should respect the working hours of others and not spend your time on inconsistent explanations. Assuming a long conversation, do not forget to ask if it is convenient to talk to the person who picked up the phone now. Perhaps you should move the conversation to a more convenient time.
The rules of the telephone call say “no” to such greeting phrases as “It bothers you ...”, “You see, what’s the matter ...”, “Nothing if I disturb you ...”. Your "hello" in this case should be obeyed with dignity, without fawning. Then you can count on a productive conversation and self-respect. After a personal presentation, you can say, “Help me solve this question ...”, “Tell me, please ...”, “I am interested in ...”, etc.
Personal call to a friend or relative
"Hello my friend. How are you? ”- Of course, with relatives you can start a conversation like that. But it would be more correct to introduce oneself. Especially if you are calling on a specific business, and not just to chat. Firstly, you can dial a friend’s number at the wrong time. A person is busy, is at work or a business meeting, is engaged in personal problems. Secondly, imagine that your number was simply not determined, and the voice seemed unfamiliar due to poor-quality communications. In order not to put yourself and your friend in an awkward position, call yourself.
Personal telephone conversation
In personal conversations, the situation is simpler. But here, telephone etiquette gives some recommendations. For example, a friend / girlfriend called you at an inconvenient time with a great desire to chat. For such cases, there is a standard telephone call: "Sorry, now at the meeting ..." or "I have a very important meeting, I'll call you back later ...". You can add “I understand that this is very important. I’ll call you back as soon as I get free ... ” For the interlocutor, this will be an indicator that you are not ignoring his problems. So, there will be no unnecessary insults. By the way, try to call back if you promised.
General rules for telephone calls
Telephone etiquette rules were not invented from the ceiling. These are the observations of psychologists, practical experience, analysis based on the results of many conversations. There are certain actions that etiquette welcomes or denies. We will collect some of them in a small memo.
- Do not make loud personal conversations in public places and at work. You put others in an awkward position, forcing you to listen to the intimate details of your life, which is not related to them.
- Do not turn the phone on speakerphone if you have not warned your interlocutor about this. Such a situation can create adverse effects. But first of all, this is a manifestation of respect for the person on the other end of the wire.
- Carefully choose your ringtone. Less loud aggression, because people with a weak nervous system may be nearby.
- Turn off the sound on the phone while at meetings, meetings, in cultural institutions, and also in places where such a requirement is prescribed by the rules of conduct.
- Do not combine telephone conversation and eating. This makes understanding difficult, expresses disrespect for the interlocutor.
- Be careful when you plan to make a call. Early morning, late night - this, as you know, is not the best time for talking with even the closest person. You can call at such a time only on the most urgent matters. Do not forget about it.
Why is it important to answer incoming calls correctly?
No wonder they say that every missed incoming call is a call to your competitor, and a poorly served call is a blow to your reputation.
Please note that 80% of business contracts are concluded only by telephone. And after signing the contract, all issues are quickly resolved by telephone. Why just a phone and not a regular email?
Everything is very simple, since only telephone calls can significantly save time and allow you to make the right decision in the shortest possible time.
But there is a slight nuance. A correct answer over the phone can lead to a good deal, but a wrong answer can end a business relationship. Conclusion - everyone should be able to answer phone calls correctly.
Some people think that the easiest way is to talk on the phone. In fact, this is a mistaken opinion and not so simple.
From the correct communication will depend:
- Customer base development,
- Company recognition
- Indicators of consumer demand.
Each manager, especially the secretary, must have special telephone communication skills and know how to answer customer calls.
How to answer customer calls correctly
There are several basic rules for how you must provide answers during a telephone conversation. All you need is to master them and try to apply them in your work process. Of course, the first time it may not work, but after - the results of communication will please you.
Rules for receiving phone calls:
1. You must clearly understand, as soon as you pick up the phone, you will be fully responsible for solving the problems of the interlocutor (client). During telephone communication, you represent the company in which you work, and it depends on how professional you do it, whether the client chooses the company, or goes to competitors. Therefore, answering every phone call, mentally think that you are the "voice of the company" and your main task is to arrange the interlocutor.
2. Since customers love to ask numerous questions, you must clearly, and most importantly reliably, provide answers to them. This will help you with information about your company and the services that you offer. You need to know everything, from the emergence of the company and ending with how and from which the products are made.
3. Do not forget when communicating about generally accepted business etiquette:
- You need to pick up the phone immediately, no later than 3 beeps,
- Be sure to introduce yourself and specify how you can contact the interlocutor,
- Specify the purpose of the call,
- At the end of the conversation, ask if the other person has questions.
4. Do not be afraid to use specially designed methods during communication.. It should be borne in mind that telephone communication has its own characteristics, since the client does not see you. Therefore, you should make every effort to solve the problems and make it clear that you are interested in him.
5. The customer should never be allowed to wait.. If during communication you find it difficult to provide an answer, it is better to agree with the client that you will call him back. Do not ask the client to "hang up".
6. You should clearly know that each phone call has a price.. Perhaps at the other end of the line is a successful businessman who plans to conclude a multi-million dollar contract. It will depend on your skill whether it will be your contract or competitors.
7. Always end phone conversations correctly. As practice shows, it is the beginning and end of a phone call that gives a general impression. Do not forget to take the coordinates for communication from your interlocutor and specify at what time he can be called.
Taking into account all the above rules, you can create a positive impression of your company and attract a client.
How to make incoming calls effective
Unfortunately, not all employees can communicate correctly by phone. Some make mistakes due to lack of experience, while others simply do not want to learn and do this.
To interest your employee and teach you how to do the job correctly, you must:
- Prepare a template for effective reception of phone calls,
- Come up with motivation for employees
- Introduce control over all calls.
Let's consider each step in more detail:
- Preparing a template for proper communication.
To understand how your employee responds to a customer’s request, you just need to make a “secret incoming call” and record it. During communication, try to understand the weaknesses, strengths of your employee and what he “merged” with.
You must write down all parasite phrases that you need to get rid of in the future. Only after receiving the necessary information, carefully analyze everything and draw up several scenarios of telephone communication. Distribute ready-made scripts to all employees.
In addition to the script, you must give clear instructions to your employees. This can be done in the form of an order.
Each employee must:
- Communicate with the interlocutor as if it is your only and best client,
- Take your time to finish talking on the phone,
- Record a customer to purchase a product or service,
- Interesting the person to choose your company,
- If necessary, send a commercial offer to the interlocutor,
- Make an appointment.
Be sure to ensure that employees do everything right.
This is a nice bonus that every employee can get if he does his job correctly. Therefore, you must definitely introduce bonuses for those employees who answer phone calls.
In this case, you must clearly state how much and for what result the accrual will occur.
For example, the exact reward:
- For an attracted client to the company, through competent communication by phone,
- For the sale of goods or services by telephone,
- For increasing the customer base (here we are talking about recommendations).
Do not look for employees who will work in order to live. You must recruit the best in the team who will work for the result and achieve your goals, including for a good salary and interesting motivation.
No matter how bad it may sound, but without control anywhere. Only in this case you will control not the employees, but the quantity and quality of incoming calls.
To make a full report, each employee must:
- Keep a record of phone calls from regular customers,
- Record calls from primary customers,
- Indicate the number of calls for general issues,
- Fix erroneous calls,
- Keep a record of calls from advertising agents.
Of course, it is worth considering that all companies are different and in large organizations it is difficult to record such information. But for this you can take an additional employee or student. And here he is! And you own all the information you need to work.
For convenience, you can make employees a special report form in which they will enter information about incoming calls on a daily basis.