Regarding acne, you can read and hear recommendations, the observance of which in fact either does not affect the course of the disease, or affects slightly, or can even harm the body.
- Limitation of sweets in food, special diets. No matter how unexpected it may sound, but in numerous studies on acne, evidence in favor of the need for any dietary restrictions have not been received. Yes, sugary drinks, chocolate and fatty foods are unlikely to be good for your health, but still they do not lead to the appearance of acne.
- Frequent skin wash. The development of acne is not associated with human cleanliness. Black dots are not dirt. The reason for their appearance is that sebum blackens as a result of a special chemical reaction that occurs in the "pores" of the skin - in the hair follicles. In the appearance of acne, of course, some bacteria play a special role, but they live on the skin of healthy people, we don’t get them from dust or dirt, they cannot be washed off, they are often resistant to detergents. Moreover, the frequent use of detergents can worsen the protective function of the skin, which, on the contrary, will increase the number of acne.
- Pre- and probiotics, enzymes, sorbents, choleretic and other drugs that "work" in the intestine. These drugs are prescribed in connection with the common belief that "all skin problems are associated with the intestines." In fact, the intestines are not to blame. The disease develops as follows: in genetically predisposed people, an increase in the level of androgen sex hormones (a common situation in adolescence in both boys and girls) leads to excessive formation and thickening of sebum. The ducts of the sebaceous glands open into the hair follicles. Follicles corked with thick fat and exfoliated epithelium look like black and white dots. In many, the manifestations of acne are limited to this. But there are those who have obstruction of the follicles leading to their inflammation, the progression of which is facilitated by some bacteria that live on the skin - this is how acne appears. And the intestines have nothing to do with it!
- Facial cleansing (scrubs, peels, cosmetic cleansing, liquid nitrogen, micro-grinding, dermabrasion, etc.). Facial cleansing, which is often done to remove blackheads and other manifestations of acne, irritates the skin and damages the follicles and ducts of the sebaceous glands, which leads to redness and swelling, and sometimes even the formation of scars.
- Homemade recipes for masks. The maximum that masks can do is slightly reduce the oily and redness of the skin and dry out acne. In contrast to this minor action - a high probability of clogging of the follicles or the appearance of irritation on the skin.
- Vitamins, micronutrients and dietary supplements
- The treatment of the immune system.
- Manipulations with blood (plasmapheresis, etc.). For points 6, 7 and 8, the explanation is one. The mechanism of the development of the disease has already been discussed above - the appearance of acne is not associated with a lack of any elements in the body, with impaired immunity (even local), or with the presence of concomitant diseases. The assertion that toxins and toxins released from patients with internal organs lead to skin diseases is unscientific. Therefore, the use of special additives, effects on the immune system, as well as the "cleansing" of the blood will not lead to a decrease in the manifestations of acne. As for zinc, which is often prescribed for oral administration, it has only a local drying effect, so taking it inside is pointless.
- Bacteriophages. These are drugs that theoretically should fight bacteria. They are taken orally so that they work in the intestines, or locally, so that they kill bacteria on the skin. However, their effect is not obvious, they have not been studied enough, and therefore, at the moment, acne treatment regimens are not included.
- Homeopathy. Homeopathy is a whole area that is difficult to tell in a nutshell. In short, the theory of homeopathy is contrary to medical scientific knowledge, and drugs that use homeopaths have not passed any clinical trials.
- Systemic retinoids (aknekutan, roaccutane) for mild to moderate acne. These are drugs that are used as tablets inside. Their active substance is isotretinoin. It is very effective. But, unfortunately, not at all safe. Therefore, its use is indicated for a very limited number of people - patients with very severe forms of acne, which all other methods of treatment did not help. Why? Because mild to moderate acne, unlike severe acne, is for the most part a cosmetic problem that does not harm the body as a whole. While isotretinoin is very toxic to the body. All patients who take aknekutan or roaccutane should be closely monitored by a specialist, before you start taking them, you need to undergo a certain examination. Since the toxic effect on the liver is very pronounced, some doctors recommend using them together with the so-called "hepatoprotectors" (drugs designed to protect the liver). However, the effectiveness of any “hepatoprotectors” has not yet been proven. The problem is that if a person is prescribed a systemic retinoid, then he sees the effect of it quickly, but problems with internal organs will not manifest themselves immediately, sometimes after the end of the course of treatment. Therefore, the connection between taking the drug and the development of diseases may not be noticed. It is indicative that if a woman is prescribed a systemic retinoid, then she is recommended to use two methods of contraception at the same time (for example, birth control pills and a condom) - so that she will not become pregnant in any case, since this drug can lead to very serious fetal malformations and even to his death.
- "Author" methods. In the best case, “author's” technique is understood to mean some special combination of already known treatment methods. At worst, it is something new, with very dubious approbation. Is it worth the experiment?
- Screening for demodex and treatment for it. Demodex is a microscopic tick that lives on the skin of many healthy people. Sometimes it causes the development of diseases such as rosacea, folliculitis, etc., but it has nothing to do with acne.
The reasons why compliance with actually ineffective recommendations can still help someone is enough. This is the natural wave-like course of the disease (periods of deterioration give way to periods of improvement - for example, it is known that acne becomes greater during stress, as well as during a certain phase of the menstrual cycle in girls), and the placebo effect (dummies), and the tendency to decrease symptoms with age (many "outgrow" the disease), etc.
What then can really help with acne? We will talk about this separately. But! Refusing an ineffective treatment is already half the battle.
What is acne
Acne, or medical acne, is the result of a malfunctioning skin. Dead cells and sebum block the exit of the hair follicle (this is where the sebaceous gland is located), but bacteria can enter it. In such clogged pores, it is full of nutrition, and therefore bacteria begin to multiply, forming inflammation, that is, a pimple. Most often, acne spreads across the face, back and chest.
Acne is the most common skin disease. It is sometimes difficult to deal with him, but it is possible.
Why acne appears
There are several reasons for acne. And, unfortunately, this is not about hygiene issues. Everything is much deeper.
First of all, acne is a problem with the hormones Patient education: Acne (Beyond the Basics). It is hormones that make the skin so richly produce fat that the pores simply do not have time to remove it.
Usually, this all happens during adolescence and lasts a maximum of 30 years, but not always. Sometimes hormonal conditions (which are determined genetically) interfere with this, and sometimes diseases.
Which of these can be concluded? Not very good. If you are not lucky, the puberty age, when hormones are raging, has already passed, and acne has remained, then most likely they will be with you all their active lives and will have to learn to live with them.
Everything done on oils increases the risk of acne. Too aggressive cleaning products are also harmful. So use mild water-based products and do not rub the rash.
Let’s say right away: studies show that food has nothing to do with it. But there are exceptions to this rule. It’s enough for some people to give up sweet or dairy so that acne can recede Diet and acne update: carbohydrates emerge as the main culprit. So just try it: it will work for you too.
Since stress is directly related to the hormonal system, constant anxiety and anxiety can worsen the condition of the skin. So, if you are nervous, and the next morning you covered with acne, this is the norm, albeit a bad one.
What are acne
Acne is a completely unusual thing, if only because there are many of them and several types can grow on one person at once.
Some types of acne are actually just a bacterial infection of Acneiform Eruptions, and some occur lightning fast, necrotic tissue and are associated with systemic diseases of Acne Fulminans. But we will talk about ordinary acne for now.
What are called black dots. These points can be the size of a match head and a depth of almost a centimeter. A huge amount of fat can be hidden behind the black head.
They are black because they come in contact with air and oxidize, and not at all due to dirt, as you might think. Sometimes they do not darken to blackness, but remain, say, dark yellow.
The meaning is the same as that of open ones. But since the surface is still covered with a thin layer of skin, the contents do not oxidize and remain white.
Small red bumps without white spots on them. Sometimes they hurt. They are also called subcutaneous acne.
They look like a standard pimple: a red inflamed area, and in the middle - a white rod, which is liquid first and then hardens (hint: it’s best not to touch the liquid). The composition of this rod is pus, so nothing good is waiting for you there.
Do not do that! 😣
Hard nodules hidden deep in the skin and protruding above it. Can be very sick, itchy What is cystic acne? and deliver discomfort.
This is the most difficult type of acne. Under the skin is a huge number of nodules that cannot be reached with the help of improvised tools. Such cysts can lead to Acne Kelo> scarring.
There are acne that should not be treated or touched: they are found in infants and do not require any intervention. This is just a reaction to the presence of maternal hormones in the baby’s blood. And this reaction will pass by itself Baby Acne. And the faster, the less attention parents will pay to her.
How to care for acne skin
So, no matter what the acne, the skin still needs to be taken care of. Keep in mind that acne treatment and skin care are not the same thing.
- Cleansers Twice a day, gently massage your moistened face and other areas affected by acne with a cleanser, and then rinse thoroughly.
- Never wipe with a common towel. It is best to use disposable wipes, especially for the face. Or buy a pack of small scarves, wash in hot water and iron thoroughly - this will replace disposable products.
- Scrubs. Use only with mild acne and not more than once a week. Choose with small particles and also carefully remove.
- Carefully apply medicines to the affected areas after cleaning.
- Apply shower gels and soap with a soft washcloth once a day. If you wash more often, use only water.
How to treat acne
If we talk about a serious treatment that will not only relieve the popped pimple, but generally reduce the formation of acne, then we need artillery stronger than masks and oatmeal on the face.
To do this, apply:
- Antibiotics. Moreover, both local (that is, they are applied to the skin), and tablets Patient education: Acne (Beyond the Basics).
- Retinoids. These are the substances that Acne is applied topically.
- Oral contraceptives. They are prescribed only to women, and these pills can seriously improve the condition of the skin, as they completely change the hormonal background.
- Acids (salicylic or azelaic, for example) and benzoyl peroxide Acne products.
- Isotretinoin. It seems like also one of the forms of vitamin A, but it is prescribed in especially severe cases, because it has serious side effects of Isotretinoin capsules (Roaccutane): from photosensitivity and dry throat to aggression, nausea and headache. Women can’t even become pregnant when using this drug (it affects the fetus). But the effect of it is very good and noticeable. Of course, such a doctor prescribes.
What home and natural remedies can help
Natural Acne treatment remedies for acne:
- Tea tree oil.
- Cartilage of cattle.
- Brewer's yeast.
These funds are added to various cosmetics, choose the one that contains such components.
There are no home remedies that could save you from acne once and for all. Unless you overdo it with acids and burn your skin. But then you will have more serious problems than acne.
Actually, all the masks that you find can somehow help (or maybe not), so home remedies are overkill: what helps, when and how. We talked about this in detail, so we will not repeat it.
How to clean your face at home
In theory, this is better not to do. It is safer to reach a dermatologist or cosmetologist. But often the skin pores get clogged up so that they would have to run to the doctor more often than to work. For such a case, there are special tool kits that help to extract everything unnecessary from under the skin.
In fact, this is a good old way to “squeeze everything out”, with the only difference being that the tools injure the skin a little less, the risk of causing an infection and leaving marks is reduced.
Cosmetic loops, extractors, tweezers also have their own rules for use:
- All extraction procedures must be done on clean skin, and some kind of light antiseptic like chlorhexidine should be kept ready.
- They pulled out one thing - do not be lazy and wash the tool, or at least wipe it with cotton wool with an antiseptic. It is only in weird YouTube videos that they pull everything out.
- It is better to use “heavy artillery” only after mild products like soaps and masks have not helped cleanse the pores.
- All that is red is inflammation. Inflamed areas can not be touched.
How to treat acne scars
Many types of acne alone leave scars and bumps. But even if you take a regular pimple and squeeze it out incorrectly, you can earn a scar or at least a pigmented spot.
There are few treatments for acne scars. All of them are somehow traumatic and not always effective Treatment for acne scars.
- Chemical peeling. This is when they try to reduce light scars with acids.
- Laser alignment. There are several types of lasers (with varying degrees of efficiency and danger), but none give the perfect result. What’s new in acne? An analysis of systematic reviews published in 2011-2012.
- Fillers and fillers.Sometimes the scars become more noticeable simply because the skin is aging, and the acne marks themselves become deeper than Acne scars. The use of fillers (as against wrinkles) helps smooth out the appearance of scars.
Why do oral contraceptives treat acne?
Before you rush to the gynecologist or, in the worst case, to the pharmacy for contraception in pills, let's see why this medicine helps in the fight against acne. What is the mechanism of action of birth control pills? Will taking birth control pills help if acne appears?
When a girl takes this medicine, she every day with the help of tablets supports a certain hormonal background in the body. That is why it is important to take contraceptives at a strictly defined time daily, without a pass and delays. Of course, the main function of contraceptives is that they protect against unwanted pregnancy. But as soon as contraception is started, eight out of ten girls, according to official medical data, notice a general improvement in the condition of the skin, hair, and nails.
The mechanism of action of oral contraceptives
The essence of the "work" of these pills is that the body begins to "think" as if you were pregnant. Every day, due to a changed hormonal background, the body is "in the firm belief" that you are pregnant. As you know, pregnancy is an effective and free remedy in the fight against many diseases of female organs, and also positively affects the general well-being of the girl's body. Taking hormones in the form of contraceptives takes the body to a different level, and as a result, acne is treated and hair and nails are healed. That's why it can be said that birth control pills against acne help. But how?
Due to the disturbed hormonal background, the sebaceous glands work, as they say, anyhow. In some, they produce too much sebum, while in others they completely cease to function. As a result, most often during adolescent puberty, young people suffer from oily skin, comedones, acne. There is also the flip side of the medal of improper functioning of the sebaceous glands - dry, like leaf, moist skin, which even the greasy cream is powerless to cope with. Oral contraceptives are able to effectively level the hormonal background, and the sebaceous glands will then begin to work correctly. But this will, of course, not happen in a day or in a week. According to reviews, it will take at least a month or two before you see the result.
So, the answer to the question of whether birth control pills help against acne will be a positive answer, but not in all cases.
Why contraceptives may not help with acne
In which cases, birth control pills for acne will not help? Contraceptives are not a treatment for acne. This is just one of the additional effects of their use. It should be noted that if the cause of acne is malnutrition, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, facial skin problems, as well as permanent mechanical damage to the dermis, then contraception will be powerless. Therefore, before you start taking birth control pills for acne on your face, you must find out the cause of acne.
When does a doctor prescribe contraceptives for acne?
Doctors may well prescribe birth control pills to treat acne. But not in all cases, contraceptives are prescribed in individual cases. The hormonal system of each person is a very subtle tool that can break anything, from severe stress to a regular, incorrect lifestyle. Then the doctor has the right to prescribe a comprehensive treatment, including in the list of recommended drugs and hormonal drugs. Please note that it is very simple to influence the hormonal system with the help of such drugs. Therefore, in no case do not prescribe yourself medicines containing hormones on your own. There are a lot of documented cases when absolutely healthy girls started taking contraceptives, having listened to girlfriends or having read blogs, thereby worsening their health.
In which case is it worth contacting an endocrinologist to get a contraceptive prescription?
Why is it worth paying attention to the appearance of acne, especially if it occurs in adulthood, and not in adolescence? The fact is that skin problems are a kind of beacon that something bad is happening in your body. And acne can occur in several cases.
The first is malnutrition. The person reacts very quickly to the quality of food consumed. If you eat fatty and carbohydrate-rich foods, then expect troubles in the form of acne. Even the most promoted girlfriends birth control pills that help with acne, in this case will be powerless. After all, the cause of the appearance of such acne is not a frustrated hormonal system, but poor nutrition. Taking hormonal medications will not solve the problem. Analyze in detail what kind of food you eat. Even if, in your opinion, you eat correctly and balanced, try to limit the use of fast food, flour, sweet and dairy products within two weeks. The last item on the list may be surprising, since cottage cheese and sour cream are components of a healthy diet. However, some people are allergic to lactose. She may be stronger or less. Refuse for a while from milk, cottage cheese, sour cream and see how your body reacts to it. These simple steps will help you improve your appearance, and you will stop wondering if birth control pills help with acne on your face.
The second cause of acnenot related to hormonal disorder is unhealthy facial skin. Most often observed in adolescents, but at a more mature age, your skin may also become too dry or, on the contrary, oily. To correct the situation and get rid of acne, analyze the composition of all the cosmetics that you use. Pay attention to the ingredients of creams, makeup products, tonics, whether they contain harmful surfactants. Modern cosmetics mainly contain natural surfactants, but inexpensive cosmetics may contain surfactants derived from oil. Such components act aggressively on the skin, as they draw moisture, dry it. As a result, even if you care for your skin with all responsibility, you can create a problem yourself. By the way, another reason for the appearance of acne can be excessive care. Girls who abuse the use of care products also violate the natural state of the dermis. As you know, if the cause of acne is the above, then birth control pills for acne on your face will not help you. Reviews of those girls who suffer from acne precisely for such a reason recommend changing all cosmetic products to organic ones.
How do you know that you need oral contraception to treat acne?
So, if the above two reasons are not suitable for you, and you understand that you have something else, then you should contact a dermatologist-endocrinologist. This doctor will direct you to a blood test and examine the status of the main female and male hormones. Changes in hormonal levels are often associated with growing up. So, in about 15% of modern young men and women at puberty, the hormonal system is disordered. In girls, there is an increase in testosterone levels, in boys - prolactin levels. In both cases, acne appears on the face, neck, and back. Girls can grow dark hair over their upper lip, on their arms, on their legs. In addition to acne, guys can store fat in places that are not typical for men - on the hips and fifth point. These are obvious reasons that the hormonal background has changed. But we said above that the discord of the hormonal system is not always associated with growing up. Sometimes a completely healthy, mature person can endure extreme stress, which will lead to disruption of this system. If you notice the signs described above, then hurry up to visit the endocrinologist. After the doctor receives the test results, he will be able to prescribe you a comprehensive treatment. Endocrinologists prescribe birth control pills for acne quite often, since this remedy is effective with a minimum amount of hormones in the composition. But even an extremely small dose of a hormonal drug can harm the body if used without prescription.
Why can not you take birth control pills for acne?
As you understand, the main purpose of oral contraception is to protect against unwanted pregnancy or even the hormonal levels. Self-administration of birth control pills, if acne appears, can lead to the fact that you not only do not get rid of acne, but also disrupt your hormonal background. This is due to the fact that there are several types of contraceptives. There are pills that are prescribed to young and nulliparous girls. There are pills with a high content of hormones. They can be prescribed to those who have already given birth, or women of age. There is also oral contraception with a minimum content of hormones. How can you know which of these types of drug is right for you?
What are the most effective birth control pills for acne?
We still urge you not to do anything stupid and not to self-medicate so as not to harm the body even more. But still, we give a rating of drugs that can help cope with acne and at the same time cause the least side effects.
- "Jess." For many years now, the drug has been steadily holding the brand of "best birth control pills," including acne. Its features consist in a lower amount of the hormone than in most of those that the modern market offers, and therefore it does not have any pronounced side effects. The only thing that girls who use this drug complain about is the occasional headache. The downside of using this drug as a treatment method is its high cost. "Jess" can be purchased at pharmacies at a price of 1100 rubles.
- "Yarina." These contraceptives are the most widely used in the CIS countries. Yarina tablets are recommended primarily because they have a strong antiandrogenic effect. From their use, the work of the sebaceous glands returns to normal, the skin becomes normal, excess fat and shine disappear, and in the absence of unnecessary fat, acne does not appear on the face and body. "Yarina" is expensive (700-800 rubles) and is sold without a prescription. However, if we consider these birth control pills precisely according to the basic principle of their effect, it should be noted that they are less weak than combined oral contraceptives, which will be discussed a little further. Another disadvantage of this oral contraceptive can be considered that the effect will occur no earlier than after 2-3 months of drinking “Yarina”.
- "Dimea." These birth control pills, which help against acne, are similar to Jess and work in a similar way. However, the packaging is not so presentable, there is no convenient calendar inside, but they are also cheaper - about 600-700 rubles per package.
Side effects of oral contraceptives
Do birth control pills for acne help? Reviews indicate that these drugs can not only cleanse the skin and improve hair quality, but also significantly worsen your life with various side effects. Among them are migraines, headaches, a feeling of apathy, depression. Some experience indigestion and diarrhea, and worsening sleep. However, it is difficult to predict what exactly you will suffer from and whether you will suffer at all, since each organism is individual. Once again, I want to urge you not to listen to the advice of friends or girls on the forums. In this case, the endocrinologist will be the best adviser; he will prescribe birth control pills suitable for you, depending on the blood test.
As you can see, any contraceptive contains various formulations of female and male hormones. Therefore, poking a finger at the sky, it is not likely that you will guess which contraceptives you need. In addition, you need to remember that birth control pills are not a panacea in the fight against acne. If the cause of acne lies in the wrong lifestyle, then, having drunk a course of pills, you will not change anything in your own appearance.