Variegated Beans - 1 cup
Water - 5 glasses
Black pepper - 2 peas
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
How to cook
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Rinse beans and pour water from the kettle.
- Cover the bowl with beans and leave to soak for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water in which the beans were soaked, and rinse it again under running water.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to the water - this will give the beans softness.
- Boil water in a teapot and pour beans over it.
- Cook for 40-60 minutes, in a pressure cooker or multicooker-pressure cooker - 15 minutes, then release the pressure naturally for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and spices 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
Pinto beans - a variety of ordinary beans, got its name for its exquisite color, reminiscent of art miniatures. "Pinto" is translated from Spanish as "motley". This type of bean is especially common in Latin America and the USA, where pinto beans are an indispensable ingredient in recipes. They prepare meat and vegetable dishes, first and second, use it as a filling for baking, burritos and rolls, preserve it and even grind it into flour. It is equally good in fried, stewed, boiled, mashed in mashed potatoes and whole, goes well with any spices. Pinto bean dishes on photos on culinary sites and books invariably look appetizing.
It is worth mentioning the beneficial properties of beans, due to the rich content of vitamins, minerals and other useful substances, this high-calorie product is very nutritious. It regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, has a positive effect on the work of the heart, blood vessels and gastrointestinal tract. And paired with rice, it becomes a storehouse of vegetable protein of the highest quality.
Beans can be filled with cold water, but in this case it will need to be left to soak for 6 - 8 hours or one night.
Do not add tomatoes, lemon juice or salt to the beans in the first half of cooking, otherwise the beans will become stiff and will have to be cooked for about twenty minutes longer than usual.
Beans are a perishable product, so it should not be stored in the refrigerator for more than three days.
To save time, you can cook several servings of beans at once, and after it cools down, put them in portions in disposable bags and freeze them. When the beans are needed the next time, simply defrost them in the microwave or pour hot water.
For soups, beans need a little (20 minutes) undercooking, so that it does not boil already in a pot with soup, including if you intend to freeze excesses in the future.
Variegated beans are most often used for stewing with vegetables, meat and making sauces.
Soak beans must be not only because it reduces cooking time, but also because when it gets into the water, the beans secrete sugars that are not digested by the human body. It is because of them that the legume dishes are called inept housewives musical, because these sugars are the cause of gas formation and complicate the digestion process.
What do you need
- 2 cups pinto beans, dry
- 12 cups of water divided
- 1/4 pound diced pork salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- feathers of pepper
- 2 tomatoes shaving brush (16 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 6 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
How to do it
- In a 2-quart bean pot or pan, cover the pancakes with 6 cups of water, soak overnight.
- Drain the beans. Cover the beans with 6 cups of fresh water, add the pork pork, onion and garlic to the beans.
- Bring the beans on the cook and cover. Cook over medium heat, cover for 2 hours.
- Stir in salt, pepper, tomatoes, green pepper, sugar and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and simmer for another 3 hours.
- Serve hot beans with corn squares or rice.
Cooking Tips & Substitution Tips
There is art in Texas style that makes the use of a bean jar a necessary evil. However, if you don’t have a bean pot, you can smoke your beans in a 9 x 13 pan dish. Bake the beans on a smoker:
Preheat the smoker to 250-275 feet.
- After soaking overnight, pour the bean mixture into a greased 9x13 inch foil film.
- Cook in the smoker for 30 minutes.
- Then cover the foil with aluminum foil and continue cooking for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the aluminum foil lid and pump the beans into the 375F preheated oven for 10 minutes to wash the beans.
If time is of the essence, you can eliminate the need for soaking overnight and reduce the cooking time to 1 hour 15 minutes using canned beans such as ranch beans. Instead of cooking in a bean pot, you baked the beans in a preheated oven at 375F for 45 minutes after frying onions, green pepper and garlic with salted pork for 10 minutes. Add in canned tomatoes, sugar and hot pepper sauce with canned beans before placing in the oven.