We think that no one doubts the fact that a resume is an integral attribute of any job seeker for qualified work. A correctly written resume gives you a head start in front of other candidates and exalts it in the eyes of the employer.
How to create an attractive and high-quality resume? This is the main issue that we will now try to consider. Although, of course, you can use the services of professionals (by paying them a certain amount) - employees of recruiting agencies. But if you decide to start writing a resume yourself, then you just need to familiarize yourself with the following questions:
WHAT A SUMMARY IS NEEDED FOR?
A good resume is one of the most effective job search tools.
Remember three key points:
1. You have the only chance to succeed with the resume at the moment when it is read for the first time. As a rule, it takes no more than 2-3 minutes to view a resume. If it was not possible to attract attention, it means that the resume did not work.
2. Follow the principle of selectivity when writing your resume. Information for the resume should be selected based on its objectives. In other words, the summary should include a description of precisely those aspects of your experience that are relevant to the position you are applying for. For example, if you were engaged in scientific work and at the same time consulting, in a resume aimed at getting a job in the field of commerce, you should not describe your scientific achievements and list your scientific works. It is better to list the specific skills and knowledge that you have gained in the process of consulting activities.
3. A successful resume may be an occasion for an interview, that is, a personal meeting with the employer or his representative, but does not yet guarantee a job. Your goal is to make the reader want to meet with you personally.
WHAT SHOULD I WRITE IN SUMMARY?
The summary consists of the following blocks:
Your name, address, phone number (including area code).
Purpose (optional, but desirable): a brief description of what position you are applying for and why you are applying (no more than 6 lines, preferably 2-3).
Labor experience in reverse chronological order (last job is indicated first). This is the main part. Indicate the start and end dates of the work, the name of the organization, the name of the position (there may be several if your career has developed successfully), and briefly describe the job responsibilities and production achievements if you had any. When describing your achievements, use action verbs, such as: developed, saved, increased or reduced.
Education (the more time has passed since graduation, the less space this item should occupy in the resume, for graduates and students it should be placed in front of the previous one, since work experience, if any, is less significant, you can report awards, emphasize those disciplines that are relevant to your goal).
Additional information: knowledge of foreign languages and a computer, a driver’s license, membership in professional organizations, etc. (A hobby should be mentioned only if it is closely related to the desired job). Indication of the possibility of providing recommendations.
WHAT SHOULD BE SUMMARY?
Basic requirements for writing a resume:
Avoid using the pronoun "I".
It is necessary to be extremely informative in choosing the wording about yourself, but, out of respect for the previous employer, commercially valuable information should not be disclosed.
Do not write:
Do not be verbose and avoid passive forms.
Do not write:
Prefer positive information to negative.
Do not write:
Focus on your accomplishments.
Do not write:
WHAT SHOULD NOT BE WRITTEN IN SUMMARY?
Do not include in your resume:
In conclusion, check your resume for the following positions:
Here are some of the most important guidelines:
What you need to know about the organization you go to the interview:
SOME TIPS FOR PREPARING FOR AN INTERVIEW
Before interviewing, consider how you will be dressed. Appearance and manner of holding are very important and practically determine the first impression. If you are going for an interview at a financial institution, choose a conservative-business uniform. If you are going to an interview with a construction company or a design company, you can afford to dress in a more relaxed style. You can try to find out in advance whether the company has adopted a business or freer clothing style, but in any case it is better to dress more officially in an interview. If appearing at work in jeans is considered in the order of things in this company, you can afford it when you start working, but you should not come for an interview in a sweater and jeans. In any case, you should look neat and tidy. Women have a much wider choice, but the more mistakes they can make. It is best for a woman to wear a formal suit or a fairly conservative dress for an interview, without going to extremes when choosing the length of the skirt, colors and jewelry. Do not use harsh perfumes or cologne.
Make sure in advance that you know how to get to the company building and where to leave the car. Leave the house in advance. Come 15 minutes ahead of schedule. This will show that you respect the interviewer and appreciate his time. If you are still late, try to call back and warn about the delay.
Remember that when choosing from several candidates with the same qualifications, your ability to make a favorable impression during the interview will play a decisive role.
Have a good night's sleep before going for an interview. Sleeping badly people never make a good impression. Try to go to bed at normal times, not earlier and not later.
Do not drink plenty of fluids. You may not find the toilet in an unfamiliar organization and you will feel bad during the interview. If you are introduced to someone, make every effort to correctly hear and remember the name of that person. If you can immediately contact the interlocutor by name, this will make a favorable impression. Interrogation will reveal excessive nervousness. It is important to determine the duration of the interview and adhere to the agreed time. This will help to correctly distribute the time between answers and questions, to determine the degree of detail of the answers.
Be polite and friendly with everyone you meet in the office. Remember to smile as you enter the interviewer's office. Do not forget how important sign language is. Your handshake is no less important: the hand should be dry and warm, the handshake should be confident, but not too strong. Watch your posture, strive to look in the eyes. Do not, however, take anything to the extreme.
Do not forget to bring along as many documents as possible confirming your qualifications, education and additional knowledge.
If you are asked to fill out any forms, it is better to take them with you and return them as soon as possible. When working with them at home, work out a draft. Remember that everything matters: literacy, blots, handwriting, and clarity of language. When you finish the conversation, do not forget to agree on when and how you will learn about the results and thank the interviewer.
POSSIBLE REASONS FOR REFUSAL TO APPLY FOR WORK:
Structure and requirements for a standard resume
A resume is a serious and often compulsory document that highlights your skills, education, and work experience. It is your presentation and your business card, so it is necessary that, based on it, the possible boss understands that you are an excellent employee.
Remember the important features of a resume:
- The document should not be too long. Its optimal volume is one page.
- The font of the entire document should be clear and readable.
- All personal qualities and skills are written exclusively in the form of the present tense and first person and in no other way.
- The entire document should be in the same style.
- A photograph must be attached to the resume. It is important that only you and no one else are in the image.
- There should not be any typos, spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.
- The entire document must be designed in a business style.
- The resume is written in the language that is often used in the organization to which you submit it. For example, if the company is based in London, then the resume should be translated into English.
Information that should be in the resume
Making out their own profile, any person faces a problem: what can be described in it? Considering the various options for possible resumes, experts noted that they are somewhat similar to each other. The main points of the questionnaire do not depend on the position for which you apply, no matter what they should always be present.
- Personal information. Such data is usually written here: Last name First name, date of birth, home address, contacts by which you can be contacted (phone number, email, Skype, Telegram, Whatsapp, Viber, etc.) and more.
- The position you would like to receive.
- Education. It usually specifies the educational institution in which you attended, and the date of graduation.
- Experience. In this category you must specify all the firms and companies in which you worked. In addition, write down the position or duties that you performed, the period of time that you worked there. If available, the merits and rewards received for this work are added. If the squeak of work is carried out for the first time, then it should be noted that there is no work experience.
- Key skills. In this part of the questionnaire, your abilities and skills as a good specialist are noted.
- About myself. Additional information about you is entered here. All personal qualities, hobbies and hobbies that will create only a good impression about you are written here.
- Recommendations All positive reviews that have been left about you at previous places of work, if any, are noted here.
- Portfolio Rewriting all successful projects and assignments is not necessary. This paragraph states that you can attach them all if necessary.
Section "About Me". What to write Examples.
A big mistake when compiling a resume is to skip the "About Me" section. Many simply believe that in a resume, only all the information about professional knowledge and skills is more important. This is completely wrong. After all, each of us is primarily a person, not a mindless working mechanism. Your manager will spend enough time with you and it is important for him what kind of person you are. The "About Me" section must be present in any resume. And what is there to write?
The following information is usually noted in this section:
- Personal qualities. Features that will help you as an excellent employee in front of your employer are listed here. On the company’s website, the requirements for applicants for a particular position are often indicated, which means that some of them can be transferred to this point.
- Habits. Bad habits are not indicated here in a coma case, but you can indicate that they are not. It is better to indicate here that you are used to bringing all the work to the end, working outside the time frame, or something like that that will characterize you well.
- Деловые связи. Здесь смело пишем, что вы участник благотворительного фонда, волонтер или часть общественного движения. Это еще один плюсик в ваше резюме.
- Документы. Open visa, driver's license or other documents that you will need in your future work.
- Hobby. Hobbies for sports, art, collecting are indicated in this section. But addictions to card games, sweepstakes and other gambling entertainment are best left secret.
- Knowledge of foreign languages. If you know three words in Italian, you do not need to write that you own it completely. Indicate those languages that you really speak at least at the conversational level.
A resume needs lively speech, not boring terminology!
Conciseness and conciseness are important parameters of each resume. But this does not mean that it should consist of enumerations of various terms that characterize you. A potential employer will decide that you simply copied a set of qualities from the bowels of the network, which means that because of such indifference to your own resume, you simply will not be hired. The "About Me" section needs to be designed more colorful and vibrant.
Therefore, instead of standard formulations, you can use more lively synonyms:
- Sociability. Instead, you can write that you have the desire to build trusting relationships with partners for productive and successful joint activities,
- A responsibility. We write: a clear response to the assigned work, its quick and independent execution,
- Discipline. We indicate: The ability to clearly follow the rules of work and behavior in accordance with the charter of the company,
- Punctuality. Instead, it’s better to note that you never violate the schedule or deadlines of the assigned work,
- Operability. Write that you can do a lot of work without violating deadlines and quality losses,
- Loyalty. Point out that you respect the interests and beliefs of your colleagues,
- Analytic skills. Indicate that you are able to study and organize a large amount of information and draw the right conclusions,
- Customer focus. Instead, you can simply write that you work only using the requirements and expectations of the client,
- Active life position. Write that you have the desire to improve your performance and process.
How to identify your key skills?
Writing and writing your resume is not an easy task. Sometimes even a good specialist does not always know what needs to be noted in the section with key skills. It just puzzles. Usually, everything is limited to computer skills, foreign languages, and working with documentation. But this is very in order to characterize you as an excellent specialist. How to understand what to write?
Use one simple algorithm:
- To get started, make a list of everything that you can do in terms of work. Do not limit the list to classics, but rather try to remember what you did at your previous job. Thus, the ability to speak publicly, the ability to negotiate, and much more will appear on your list.
- Next, carefully read everything that they wrote, divide the information into categories of ownership. Be sure to note the degrees of ownership in the resume so that the employer can know what to expect from you.
- From the entire list, select only those skills that you will need in your proposed position, and indicate them in your resume.
How to submit your resume?
The correct questionnaire should always be brief, but at the same time very capacious. The design of this document is as important as its content. A very gross and often encountered oversight is the execution of the resume in solid text. It is better to use bulleted lists, and the table is the most convenient and beautiful option. It is read and perceived much easier and faster, and visually the document looks better than just text.
So, in order to increase the likelihood of getting exactly the job that you need, it is important to follow the rules and standards for compiling the questionnaire. To get the right document about you and your skills, he should pay maximum attention. The best solution would be to draw up a classic document according to a common standard, and then make adjustments in accordance with the requirements of the company or organization to which it will be provided.