There are three “breads” in the world: wheat, corn and rice. It just so happened that Asian cereal crops came to Europe quite late. We got acquainted with rice when it was already “powdered” for the buyer, that is, peeled and polished. Few Europeans know what an ordinary grain of this cereal looks like. And it, like wheat, is in the amniotic membrane. Because of this, the rice kernel has a sloppy dirty brown color. But in Asia, it has long been realized that brown rice is much healthier than white. There, raw grains prepare food for the elderly and children. True, such rice is cooked much longer than its polished counterpart. And the taste is specific due to the shell. Therefore, another type of rice became known - parboild. Unrefined grains are steamed, all the nutrients and taste of the pericarp pass to the nucleolus. Then the rice is cleaned of the become unnecessary shell. Grains turn slightly yellow, but cook very quickly - within 15 minutes. In this article we will talk about how to cook brown rice. It is very interesting and informative!
Is grinding good?
Rice is certainly a healthy cereal. But did you know that the lion's share of the substances necessary for the body is contained in the amniotic bag of grain? Scientists from Harvard conducted research to determine how white and brown rice differ. The benefits and harms of these two types of cereals are described in The Independent. It turns out that white rice increases the possibility of diabetes. And his brown counterpart, on the contrary, reduces this risk by 16%. And in calories it is slightly lower - 111 against 130 (per 100 grams of product). But not the nutritional benefits of brown rice. Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, iodine, copper, phosphorus, zinc, the most important amino acids for health in excess are found in the pericarp. Brown rice only loses grain sanitized by grinding: shelf life. Due to the fact that the nucleoli are covered with an oily peel, they cannot be kept for a long time.
How to cook brown rice
As we have already found out, this is exactly the case when coarse and unpolished groats are more useful than beautiful white grains. However, due to the skin and taste, the finished dish will be very different. And such a grain is cooked for about half an hour - longer than its white counterpart. But the risk is reduced that instead of pilaf you get porridge. But no matter how long we cook brown grain, it will still remain somewhat hard. By the way, many do not like this kind of rice for its specific taste. But in vain, you just need to be able to cook it correctly. And combine with the right products. Then you will have a wonderful independent dish or a spectacular looking and tasty side dish. So how to cook brown rice? The recipes below will enrich your knowledge of this healthy product.
General rules for cooking grain
Brown rice can be consumed in all dishes where white varieties are used: in pilafs, cereals, casseroles, cabbage rolls. It looks like only a light nutty flavor indicates that unpolished grain was used. To make the rice softer, more tender, it is soaked for two to three hours. If you keep the grains in water all night, then the porridge will boil for fifteen to twenty minutes. Proportions need to be changed a little. Three times more water should be taken on a glass of cereal. Before cooking brown rice, it must be washed. We continue this process until the flowing water becomes completely transparent. If you want to make loose porridge, you first need to fry the rice a little in olive oil. After this, pour the cereal with cold water, mix once and leave over high heat. As soon as the liquid boils, you need to reduce the heat to a minimum, salt the dish to taste, close the lid and leave until the water is completely absorbed. It is also worth giving the rice time to rest on the edge of the stove after turning off the gas for about 20 minutes.
Greek casserole with feta and zucchini
Brown rice (100 g) is cooked until cooked, as described above. Cool it, add one egg and 100 g of grated cheese varieties. Mix. We grease the mold with butter and lay out, tamping tightly, the base for the casserole. We put in the oven preheated to 220 C for five minutes. We rub a small zucchini or young zucchini, squeeze the juice. We knead two hundred and three hundred grams of feta with a fork. Add the zucchini. Drive in two more eggs. Knead with finely chopped yellow sweet pepper and herbs (dill, mint, green onions, parsley). We grow the filling with 70 grams of cream of 10% fat. Salt, pepper. We spread the filling on a rice base. From above, slightly pressing, place the whole cherry tomatoes. We set the oven temperature to 200 C. Cook the casserole for half an hour.
Finely chop the onion and petiole of celery. Fry in vegetable oil, squeezing two more cloves of garlic into a deep frying pan. When the onion becomes translucent, attach the finely chopped carrots. After a couple of minutes, add brown rice (a glass), mix and leave for two minutes under the lid to steam a little. Pour 0.6 liters of hot chicken stock. After a quarter of an hour of cooking, add spices under the lid: basil, sweet paprika, chili pepper. Mix. Two minutes later, put three tablespoons of ketchup. Cooking another ten minutes. This dish can be independent, and can also garnish fried or baked chicken.
Iranian pilaf with brown rice
First, passively chopped onion and carrot on a spoon of olive oil. Pour 180 grams of brown rice. We stir, fry for a minute. Add 50 grams of chopped dates, a spoonful of grated zest, 400 ml of broth and half a glass of water. Pepper and salt the dish, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a minimum. Cover and cook brown rice for 45 minutes. When all the liquid has boiled, add a spoonful of lemon juice. Leave under the lid to reach. Sprinkle the prepared pilaf with green onions and serve.
Warm Cauliflower Salad
Hot main courses are not the only thing you can cook brown rice with. Recipes give us many varieties of salads. Here is one of them, the Mediterranean. Rinse and boil brown rice to get 200 grams of friable porridge. Chop the onion finely, and cut the red bell pepper into small pieces. Boil two small heads of cauliflower in salted water, divide into inflorescences. We steam a handful of dried cranberries, rinse, strain, dry a little on a napkin. Fry the same amount of pine nuts. Mix in a salad bowl all the ingredients. It is advisable that the rice is still warm. Salt and pepper. In a jar with a lid we make refueling. We carefully shake three tablespoons of olive oil and lemon juice. Season salad with this sauce.
Don't be afraid to experiment with brown rice. It can be used instead of white grain and get dishes with a slightly different, nutty flavor. There are many cereal mixtures on sale, which includes brown rice. Reviews highly recommend trying a “cocktail” featuring parboild. Steamed grain is cooked faster, so all the porridge will be cooked evenly. A mixture of parboild and wild rice is especially appreciated. By the way, the last species came to us not from Asia, but from North America. They have long been fed by the Indians, and they began to cultivate it only in the 50s of the last century. Water citric (so called wild rice is scientifically called) has intense black color and rich sweetish nutty taste. Dishes from such a mixture of cereals are best prepared exotic: curry, with coconut sauce, walnuts, tarragon.
Baked brown rice
Brown rice may be dry and tasteless, but baked in the oven it turns into something soft and airy! A wonderful, healthy and tasty side dish is well suited to meat dishes or vegetarian salads. Preparation takes only a couple of minutes, but it will take at least 1 hour and 15-20 minutes to bake in the oven, so calculate the time in advance.
- 1 ½ cup brown rice
- 2½ cups chicken stock or water,
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of any oil to grease a baking dish.
Cooking Baked Brown Rice:
- Preheat oven to 175ºС.
- Grease a baking dish with a diameter of 22-24 cm. Butter or any vegetable oil is suitable for your taste.
- Rinse brown rice with cold water and pour into the prepared baking dish. Pour in chicken stock or water, salt. Gently and evenly distribute in shape.
- Cover the mold tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove brown rice from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing the foil.
- Remove the foil and loosen the rice. If there is still liquid in it or, conversely, it is slightly burnt from below, adjust the cooking time for the next time.
- Baked brown rice can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for no more than one day. After that, it can become tough and tasteless.
To make the taste brighter, add 3-4 cloves of unpeeled garlic, 2-3 tbsp. To rice, before baking. tablespoons lightly fried onions or 1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning.
- Put rice, onions and carrots in the multicooker bowl.
- Fill with water, salt, add seasonings (I used turmeric and zira).
- We set the rice-grits mode on the multicooker for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, add the beans and corn, and cook another 10 minutes. Read more: Pasta with squid cooking recipes with photos.
PILOT WITH CHICKEN FILLET AND BROWN RICE IN A MULTIVARK
- chicken breast fillet - 1 pc.
- onion - 1 pc.
- carrots - 1 pc.
- sweet pepper - ½ pcs.
- vegetable oil - 3-4 tbsp. l
- salt, ground pepper - to taste
- brown rice - 240 g
- water - 3 glasses
- greens - 1 bunch.
- Cut onions and carrots into strips or cubes.
- Turn the slow cooker on the "Frying" mode and add oil to the bowl. Sauté the onions and carrots until a soft golden color.
- Slice bell peppers in strips or slices.
- Add pepper to the bowl of the multicooker and put chopped chicken fillet there. Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Prepare the right amount of brown rice.
- Pour rice into the bowl and fry with the remaining ingredients for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour water into the multicooker bowl, add salt and spices.
- Sprinkle greens. Parsley and dill, a little basil will do. Turn on the "Extinguishing" mode and cook pilaf for 30 minutes.
- Excellent second course ready. Serve hot pilaf with a side dish of vegetables and fresh herbs. It looks aesthetically pleasing if the pilaf is shaped like a truncated cone.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- Unpolished rice 1 cup
- Garlic 1 head
- Bow 1 pc
- Sweet pepper 1 pc
- Low-burning pepper 1-2 pods
- Corn (cons, small) 1 jar
- Carrot 1 pc
- Vegetable oil 3-4 tbsp. l
- Spices: black pepper, salt, coriander, hot pepper, sweet pepper to taste
- Rinse brown rice under cold running water. Unlike white rice, unpolished rice does not contain rice “flour”, which is washed for a long time. But the presence of husks and all kinds of garbage cannot be ruled out. Therefore, it is better to rinse the rice well. Soak the washed rice in cold water for 15-20 minutes.
Vegetables for the dish
Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan. Add chopped onion immediately
Add chopped carrots
Add chopped red bell pepper
Add the entire contents of the canned corn jar
Add washed brown rice
Further important point! Add hot water
Serve brown rice with vegetables only hot
Unpolished rice with vegetables
Brown rice with vegetables is a delicious healthy dish
Features of cooking brown rice
Brown grains can be completely used in any dishes prepared with white cereal, completely replacing it. However, it should be understood that due to the presence of the bran shell, the preparation of brown rice has some nuances.
This cereal is used for a wide variety of dishes. In desserts it is added to puddings, casseroles, combining with raisins, jam, fruits, berries, candied fruits. Often used as the basis for liquid dishes.
Of course, brown rice pilaf and rolls are becoming increasingly popular. Groats can also be used as a side dish for any kind of meat, fish, seafood or combined with stewed or fried vegetables. More and more unpolished cereals are used for filling vegetables and poultry.
Brown rice can be cooked on a stove, on a fire or in a slow cooker, as well as baked in the oven or directly in a pan under the lid.
The list of brown rice recipes is expanding every day. Do not miss the opportunity to cook any dish and please your household indecently delicious and delicious healthy food.
How to cook brown rice:
- Take 1 cup of cereal, pour it into a sieve and rinse under a stream of running water so that the liquid ceases to stain.
- Place the washed cereal in a container of water for 1-3 hours, so that each grain is saturated with liquid and softened. This will speed up the cooking process.
- Before boiling brown rice, drain the water and place the cereal in a pan with a wide bottom so that it is laid out as thin as possible, this will provide the most uniform thermal effect. Pour 2.5 cups of water and add a little salt. Instead of pure water, to enhance the taste and aroma, you can use mushroom or meat broth.
- Cover, place on a stove over medium heat. When the water boils, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook for about 30-40 minutes. You can add some olive oil in the process.
- At the end of the process, all the liquid should be absorbed into the grains. The result is about 3 cups of boiled brown rice, soft and crumbly.
- After this, remove from the stove and leave for another 20 minutes at room temperature.
It is also possible to cook brown rice in a slow cooker, but for this you should not choose the usual “rice” program, because in time it will not be enough.
If brown cereal is pre-soaked not in cold but in hot water, then cooking time can be reduced.
How to choose brown rice?
Unpolished cereal goes on sale under the labeling of black or brown rice. It should be understood that due to the greater nutritional value, brown groats are more expensive than white.
How to choose brown rice in the store:
- Try to avoid buying cereals by weight.
- You should always give preference to transparent packaging, which allows you to visually view the appearance of the grains and the presence of foreign elements.
- There should be no condensation inside the bag.
- Croup can be of different shapes and sizes, it all depends on the plant variety. So, in the package can be long and thin or short and rounded grains. But in one package there should be rice of the same variety, and therefore, approximately the same size.
- Brown rice has a shorter shelf life, so be sure to check the production date on the packaging.
How to store brown rice after opening the package:
- Pour the remaining cereal into a dry glass container.
- Cover it with a lid so that the rice does not absorb odors.
- Put in a cool place without access to sunlight.
- Store no more than 3 months from the date of production until the taste and aroma of the grain has deteriorated.
TOP 6 recipes for delicious brown rice dishes
Unpolished cereals are used in cooking everywhere. He is very loved not only in North America, but also in Spain, Italy, Thailand, Japan, China and other countries. The options for its use are countless. We bring to your attention the TOP-6 recipes of brown rice in combination with meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables and sweets.
Brown Rice Stuffed Indochka
Incredibly attractive, aromatic, tasty, hearty and nutritious dish. According to this recipe, the indochka meat is very juicy and tender, and the rice absorbs duck fat and becomes even more delicious.
- Calorie content per 100 g - 354 kcal.
- Servings Per Container - 6
- Cooking time - 2 hours
- Indoor - 1 pc.
- Brown rice - 3 tbsp.
- Mayonnaise - 1 tbsp.
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Apple - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Small onion - 1 pc.
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Dried parsley - 10 g
Step-by-step cooking of brown rice-stuffed indoutka:
- Grind the peeled onions and garlic in a blender. Mix with mayonnaise, seasonings and parsley.
- We wash the indochka, dry it, cut out the excess fat and grease it with plenty of prepared marinade. Place in a deep bowl with a lid or wrap in cling film. We leave it for at least 3-4 hours, but it is better to do this preparation the day before, so that the carcass has time to soak well in the marinade overnight.
- For 1-1.5 hours before cooking, brown brown rice is washed until clean water. Pour boiling water so that it is actively saturated with moisture and later cooked at the same time as ducklings. Присаливаем.
- Яблоко моем, делим на 8 равных долей и удаляем сердцевину. Морковь чистим и режем крупными ломтиками, чтобы овощ при запекании сохранил максимум вкуса и присущей ему сладости.
- Достаем индоутку. Фаршируем ее коричневым рисом, затем закладываем яблоко и морковь.
- We place the workpiece on a baking sheet and send it to the oven heated to 200 degrees. The baking time is about 1.5 hours. During this time, the meat is well baked, and a beautiful and incredibly appetizing crust will appear on top. Immediately after cooking, it is better to remove the apple and carrot, and cut the duckling after 15 minutes. Serve on the table on a wide general dish as a whole or in a cut form or lay out in portions.
Brown Rice Paella with Shrimp and Chicken
Incredibly colorful, mouth-watering and very tasty and nutritious Spanish dish. There are several hundred variations of paella, but this option deserves the attention of lovers of tasty and healthy food. Brown rice and shrimp go well together, but the addition of other seafood and chicken to make the dish more nutritious and interesting.
- Brown rice - 400 g
- Squid - 100 g
- Tiger prawns - 100 g
- Mussels - 50 g
- Wongole clam - 50 g
- Chicken Fillet - 400 g
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Small white onions - 1 pc.
- Bulgarian pepper - 3 amount
- Olive Oil - 140 ml
- Fish or chicken broth - 800 ml
- Frozen green peas - 100 g
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Saffron - 3 g
- Paprika - 5 g
- Chili pepper - 2 pcs.
- White wine - 50 ml
Step-by-step cooking of brown rice paella with shrimp and chicken:
- Before you cook brown rice with shrimp, prepare vegetables - chop the onion and garlic, and cut the pepper in the form of cubes with a side equal to 1 cm.
- We steam rice for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Next, we process seafood. We clean squids and also cut into cubes. Shrimp relieve shell and other excess parts. Wash the mussels and vongole.
- Grind chicken fillet with cubes or cubes and fry in a hot pan with the addition of olive oil. Pour vegetables, paprika, chopped chili and saffron here. Add and add a little black pepper.
- Pour rice into the chicken and continue to fry for several minutes. Then pour the wine, which should evaporate for 1-2 minutes.
- We reduce the fire to almost a minimum and begin to gradually pour the broth. As soon as the first portion is absorbed, add the second, and so on. In conclusion, pour out the remaining broth, spread all the prepared seafood, thawed peas. Cover with a lid or foil and leave on the stove for 10 minutes. Then immediately serve to the table. Brown rice paella with shrimp and chicken is ready!
Brown rice with vegetables and mushrooms
Vegetarian cuisine has many interesting recipes. Among them, various dishes based on cereals and various vegetables are very popular. If we talk about brown rice dishes with vegetables, then they are distinguished by unprecedented nutritional value and make it possible to replenish substances important for the body. We suggest you familiarize yourself with a simple recipe to diversify your daily diet with wholesome and light foods.
- Brown rice - 1.5 tbsp.
- Mushrooms - 100 g
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Chile red - 1 pc.
- Sweet pepper - 1 pc.
- Ginger - 100 g
- Savoy cabbage - 200 g
- Soy sauce - to taste
- Olive Oil - 20 ml
Step-by-step cooking of brown rice with vegetables and mushrooms:
- Before you cook brown rice, fill it with boiling water, add and leave for 30-50 minutes. We drain the water, rinse and send to cook a little less than the prescribed time. Then set aside.
- We prepare carrots and peppers - we clean, wash, cut into small cubes. Heat 10 ml of oil and fry for several minutes pepper and carrots, along with chili and soy sauce.
- Pass the garlic through a press, and cut the ginger into thin slices or small cubes. We send both ingredients to the pan.
- Grind the cabbage into strips or cubes, pour into a pan and pour in olive oil. Mix and simmer for 10 minutes. After that, add chopped mushrooms, and after 2-4 minutes - chopped onions and rice with soy sauce. Stew until all the liquid is absorbed into the cereal. Decorate with herbs. Brown rice with vegetables and mushrooms is ready!
Brown rice pilaf with pork in a pan
The classic recipe for pilaf over many years of existence has been repeatedly changed. So, cooks use different types of rice, types of meat, change the list of additional ingredients and flavors. Every time you get a completely new dish. We offer to cook pilaf from brown rice with pork.
- Pork Pulp - 600 g
- Brown rice - 600 g
- Water - 500 ml
- Carrots - 500 g
- Onion - 3 pcs.
- Garlic - 1-2 heads
- Vegetable oil - 150 ml
- Zira - 5-10 g
- Salt to taste
Step-by-step preparation of pilaf from brown rice with pork:
- To prepare delicious brown rice with pork in the form of pilaf, we first process the cereal. We rinse it until the water becomes clear, steam it, pouring boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Next we harvest vegetables. We clean, wash and chop the onions in half rings, and carrots in large strips.
- Cut the flesh into medium-sized pieces - cubes or cubes. We remove the husk from the head of garlic, cut off the top to slightly open each clove, and the lower part.
- We select a pan with a thick bottom, pour oil on it and heat it. Then quickly fry the onion, add the pork. When the meat is well browned on one side, pour in the carrots and, stirring occasionally, fry for about 10 minutes. During this time, the carrots should become soft.
- Next, fill the meat and vegetables with water, insert the heads of garlic in the middle. Bring the liquid to a boil and remove the garlic on a separate plate.
- Filter the rice and pour it into the pan with an even layer. Do not mix. Add salt. If there is little liquid, then pour a little more so that it covers the grains of cereal. We make almost maximum fire and cook for 15 minutes.
- Rub the seeds of zira with fingers and pour into brown rice with meat. Again we put the garlic in the middle, close the lid, make the fire minimal and cook about half an hour. Pilaf from brown rice with pork in a pan is ready!
Brown rice with beef stew
Beef stew with shallots, tomatoes and spicy marinade is called "Stifado" and is a traditional dish of Greek cuisine. This dish has many variations, so it has a lot of fans. Quite often it is served with white cereal. But if you take unpolished grains, you get a more nutritious and useful option. Brown rice with meat baked in the oven and quince looks very appetizing and for many it will become a favorite dish.
- Beef - 1.2 kg
- Brown rice - 400 g
- Canned tomatoes in own juice - 800 g
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Quince - 2 pcs.
- Leek - 1 pcs.
- Olive oil - 80 ml
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Bay leaf - 4 pcs.
- Parsley - 100 g
- Dried mint - 3 g
- Oregano - 20 g
- Cinnamon - 5 g
- Allspice - 3 g
- Tomato paste - 40 ml
- Wine Vinegar - 80 ml
- Dry red wine - 500 ml
- Clove - 6 pcs.
- Chile dry - 1 pc.
Step-by-step cooking of brown rice with beef stew:
- We start cooking brown rice with beef with a 10-minute roast of leeks, cut into rings. Along the way, fill the rice with hot water and insist 30-40 minutes.
- Next, we select a heat-resistant pan with a thick bottom. Pour the fried onion into it.
- Cut the beef pulp into medium-sized cubes and fry in a pan after the onion. It is better to do this in portions so that the meat does not steam, but is well browned. After that we send it to the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees.
- We also place chopped onions, parsley, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, mint, bay leaf and allspice here. Then add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, vinegar and wine. Fill with water, not adding a little to the top layer of all ingredients.
- We put on the fire, bring to a boil, add and add chili.
- Cover with a lid or foil and send to the oven for 4 hours.
- After 3 hours, we clean the quince, cut into 8 shares, sprinkle it with lemon juice and send to the meat.
- At the same time, you can start cooking cereals. Filter the rice and place in a separate pan with cloves. Boil until tender.
- When the baking time has passed, we proceed to serving. Brown rice with beef is served in portions: we spread the rice with a slide, put a quince slice and several pieces of meat on top. Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice on top.
Brown Rice Dessert
Brown rice, like white polished cereal, can be used to make desserts, as it tastes good and at the same time goes well with berries, fruits, nuts, chocolate, raisins, candied fruits, jam and other sweets. Both meat and sweet brown rice dishes are striking in variety. We offer to prepare a simple fruit and nut vitamin dessert.
- Brown rice - 200 g
- Water - 600 ml
- Walnut oil - 40 ml
- Cardamom - 3 boxes
- Sea salt - 2 g
- Dried Cherries - 50 g
- Unroasted almonds - 150 g
- Plum - 10 pcs.
- Sun-dried dates - 7 amount.
- Large apple - 1 pc.
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Mint - 2 branches
- Orange - 1 pc.
- Honey - 140 g
Step by step cooking dessert with brown rice:
- The preparation of almost all brown rice dishes begins with the soaking of this cereal. Desserts are no exception. Therefore, pre-fill the grains with water and leave for 1-2 hours. Then filter and dry.
- We select a pot with a thick bottom, heat the oil in it. Press the boxes of cardamom with your fingers or with a mortar and fry a little. Along the way, bring to a boil in a separate container 500 ml of water.
- Pour rice into a pot of cardamom and envelop it in oil. Add salt, pour boiling water, cover and cook for 20 minutes. The fire should be quiet.
- Pour the cherry and cover again. Remove the pan from the fire, wrap it first with newspapers, and then with a blanket. Leave for 20 minutes. Then open and cool to room temperature.
- At this time, we are preparing a gas station. To do this, make the zest from half an orange, place its stewpan, fill it with cold water and freshly squeezed orange juice. Slowly bring to a boil, pour in the honey and warm for 3-5 minutes.
- Fry almonds on all sides for 4 minutes, then chop it.
- We dispose of plums and grind into 4-8 parts. Finely chop the dates. We clean the apple from the core, completely cut off the peel and chop it into cubes, immediately sprinkle with juice from half a lemon. Grind mint with a knife.
- Then we mix all the ingredients with rice, fill with dressing, mix and decorate with nuts and mint. Brown rice dessert ready!