Surely, everyone or almost everyone knows what convulsions are. This phenomenon is especially familiar to athletes and pregnant women. In the best case, a cramp will bother us at night and pass just as it started, without causing harm. At worst, she will grab, for example, while swimming. And then there is a direct threat to life. One way or another, the question of how to get rid of cramps worries so many people.
Definition and types of seizures
A cramp in medicine is called a sharp contraction of muscles that occurs suddenly and completely independent of the will of a person. Most often, it overtakes the limbs, manifested by severe pain. Before you learn how to get rid of seizures, you should talk about their types.
- In terms of periodicity, they are regular and episodic.
- Depending on the duration, tonic convulsions (long and very painful) and clonic (short, painless, arising in a relaxed state - for example, when the eyelid twitches) are distinguished.
- And seizures are divided into local (spasm covers a separate group of muscles) and generalized (almost all muscles are involved).
The latter classification deserves special attention and gives an occasion to ask itself the question: “Is it worth it to think about how to get rid of seizures on your own, or maybe it's time to see a doctor urgently?”. More on this below.
When to the doctor
If a seizure covers almost the entire body, it is possible, we are talking about a generalized form. And then the doctor should be consulted immediately, because the reasons can be very serious. Generalized convulsions are often symptoms of diseases such as, for example, epilepsy, a neoplasm in the brain, a viral lesion of the nervous system (a consequence of the flu, etc.). They may also indicate that the body is deficient in calcium, potassium or magnesium. And all this needs treatment.
If the cause can be eliminated, the question of how to get rid of seizures will disappear by itself. They will not disturb you anymore.
Causes of Local Cramps
As for seizures of a local nature, their causes are still not thoroughly studied. But doctors tend to believe that they appear in such situations:
- sudden changes in body temperature or the environment,
- muscles are strained due to physical exertion,
- insufficient oxygen is delivered to a specific muscle area (due to problems with veins),
- low hemoglobin in the blood (which is often the case in pregnant women),
- muscle is physically exhausted.
If you are sure that it is precisely one of this that caused the cramp, how to get rid of such an unpleasant manifestation at home, of course, it is desirable to know.
Fast ways to get rid of cramps
As noted above, sometimes a seizure seizes at the most inopportune moment - for example, while swimming. And then the man runs the risk of drowning. At stake is life. Therefore, it is so important to know how to get rid of leg cramps quickly. There are several proven methods:
- Ideally, prick yourself in a place that has spasmed. But since few take piercing objects with them, you can just pinch them. Only stronger.
- The cramp will pass after a hard grinding of the affected muscle.
- By changing the position of the leg and pulling the fingers towards you, there is also a chance to relieve spasm in a matter of seconds.
- You can still grab the heel with your hand and squeeze it very hard.
All these methods, of course, are successfully used not only in water, but also in ordinary circumstances, when there is no risk to life, but a person really wants to quickly remove unbearable pain. As you know, muscle cramps often overtake us in the dark - during sleep. And if you do not know how to get rid of night cramps in your legs, then try one of the above. In addition, you can apply such methods:
- Always store a little salt somewhere near the bed, and as soon as you feel a familiar pain, literally put a pinch on the tip of your tongue. Do not close your mouth. The cramp should go away in a couple of minutes.
- A normal magnet works well in such cases, which should be applied to the affected area.
- If you have the strength, stand and lean on your leg, which has brought together. Yes, it is not easy and painful, but almost immediately everything will pass.
- Rubbing the affected area with some kind of warming agent will also help. Or at least a simple massage.
- It will also be effective to leave the bed and take a few steps on the cold floor.
The answer to the question of how to get rid of leg cramps at night is received. But what about those who have suffered, for example, a hand? Some of these methods (magnet, massage, warming ointment) will help in this case too.
Treatment of seizures with alternative methods
Traditional medicine knows a lot of ways to get rid of night cramps. In this case, we are not talking about quick methods when the spasm has already manifested, but about how to cure the phenomenon itself and minimize seizures. So:
- You can eat a tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach for five days in a row, washed down with kefir. The course is repeated after two to three weeks.
- In the mornings and evenings, rub the feet with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Wear socks after drying. And so daily for two weeks.
- Grind the husks of onions, pour it with a glass of boiling water and leave for about ten minutes. Drink tincture before bedtime.
- If you do not know how to get rid of cramps in your arms and legs, eat regularly baked potatoes. Helps a lot!
Ancient japanese method
This method, of course, not everyone will like and cause doubts, but the Japanese, who know a lot about medicine, successfully use it. They recommend that people with cramps help themselves ... with a stick. The latter should be necessarily smooth and round with a diameter of about two and a half centimeters. And so, with this stick you should beat yourself a hundred times twice a day in the area of the base of the fingers (on the pads). Cramps will gradually come to naught.
Naturally, he knows methods of dealing with seizures and official medicine. As a rule, doctors prescribe drugs such as Asparkam and Panangin to their patients. They also recommend taking vitamins and minerals during periods of exacerbation.
Of course, it’s best to never ask yourself how to quickly get rid of a cramp. After all, you will not wish such pain to the enemy! Therefore, it is desirable to carry out preventive measures. For example, the following charge:
- Get on your heels, raise and bend your toes and hold on for about ten seconds. Repeat seven times.
- Cross the lower limbs, transfer the weight to the outer edges of the feet. Measure for a couple of seconds, and then swap legs.
- To rise sharply and as high as possible on toes, and then also to fall sharply. Repeat ten times.
In addition, experts recommend forever abandoning uncomfortable shoes, lose weight, if any, protect your feet from overload and eat foods rich in minerals and vitamins. This will be an excellent prevention of seizures. In addition, do not forget that twice a year you need to visit the clinic for a scheduled examination. This will help prevent many ailments or detect them even at an early stage, when it is easiest to cure.
How to get rid of leg cramps at home
Especially often cramps occur in the summer, because the body loses a lot of magnesium with increased sweating. Not in vain, coming from vacation, especially from hot countries or from the sea coast, even young and healthy people suddenly experience exhausting night cramps in their calves.
A lot of magnesium is also lost during stress. The daily requirement for magnesium for an adult is about 300 mg and is covered with a balanced diet.
Almonds, pumpkin seeds, soy products, buckwheat, green vegetables (especially broccoli), apples, bananas, grapefruits are rich in magnesium. A lot of magnesium contains whole grain products, bran, wheat germ, as well as milk and cocoa.
If leg cramps are disturbed at night too often, magnesium tablets can be taken for 4-6 weeks. To compensate for the lack of calcium, you need to eat hard cheeses, cottage cheese, fish products, beans.
To provide the body with magnesium, calcium, potassium, it is advisable to consume more greens, especially parsley, fresh fruits, dried apricots, raisins, and lactic acid products.
How to get rid of leg cramps? So that lactic acid does not accumulate in tense muscles, you need to drink more fluid. Before going to bed, it is good to drink tea with a bark of viburnum, chamomile flowers and verbena.
First aid for leg cramps
If you have not yet fallen asleep and feel that a cramp begins, you need to sit in bed, lower your legs down and carefully stand, not on a warm rug, but on a cool floor.
Body position should be as straight as possible, legs together. After a few minutes, blood circulation in the legs and normal muscle tone of the legs are restored.
It is necessary to take a deep breath, then hold the fingers of the cramped leg with both hands and, through pain, pull them up and down, stretching the spasmodic muscle.
At the same time, you need to do swinging movements of the entire leg with your hands. When the muscle spasm weakens, it is good to gently massage the reduced muscle until it relaxes completely.
If the leg cramp is very strong and does not go away, try pricking the calf muscle with a pin in the place of greatest numbness. Then, carefully massage the calf and foot with stroking, stretching and patting movements in the direction from the tips of the fingers to the heel, from the heel to the knee.
Evening foot care, which is prone to night cramps, should include a contrast shower or foot contrast baths (hot water temperature - about 40 degrees, cold not higher than 30). It is good to add decoctions of various medicinal herbs to the water.
With varicose veins, the temperature difference should be less. Lower your feet for a few seconds in hot or cold water. As you get used to this procedure can be increased in time.
How to get rid of cramps quickly? The following exercises are recommended in the morning:
- In a standing position, place the feet crosswise and lean on their outer edges. After 10 seconds, return to the starting position.
- In a sitting position, bend your toes vigorously, count to ten, then straighten them and count to ten again.
- In a standing position, lift up on your toes so that the heels come off the floor, then drop sharply.
Exercises should be done barefoot and each should be done at least 5 times. Watch your health, performing preventive exercises, you will get rid of leg cramps.
The recipe for leg cramps is a folk remedy
Grind and mix:
- 3 grams - barbed tatarnika,
- 10 grams - lemon balm,
- 10 grams - daisies,
- 10 grams - elderberry flowers.
Brew the resulting mixture with two glasses of boiling water, cover the jar tightly and let it brew for one hour. Drink the whole broth during the day. Drink such an infusion for 7-10 days, then a break for 10 days - then look at well-being.
How to get rid of leg cramps at home you already know. Use this recipe and be healthy!
Be healthy and happy! I will be glad to see you on the pages of my blog.
Please watch the video: Leg cramps
If you liked the article, please share it with your friends by clicking on the buttons of social networks or leave your comments at the bottom of the page. If you want to receive new articles in your mail, then fill out the subscription form. Regards, Tatiana.
Causes of Seizures
Involuntary muscle contractions can be caused by various causes.
Cramps are 2 types:
- idiopathic, the causes of which cannot be established,
- secondary, which are a sign of any pathology in the body.
Unreasonable convulsions occur against the background of excessive physical activity, when the activity of nerve endings increases. Most often they are single and rarely relapse. Sometimes cramps can be caused by a violation of the flow of blood to the muscles, especially with prolonged uncomfortable position of the legs during sleep. In older people, muscle contractions can be triggered by shortened tendons and an insufficient amount of minerals in the body.
The main inflammatory processes and diseases that can cause secondary convulsions are:
- Hormonal disruptions.
- Intoxication of the whole organism. For example, poisoning caused by mercury or lead.
- Pathology of the thyroid gland.
- Taking some medications.
- Varicose veins.
- Flat feet.
- Potassium deficiency, lack of magnesium and sodium. Substances are involved in the transmission of nerve impulses to the cells of muscle tissue.
- Violation of the water balance in the body.
- Renal failure.
The washing out of salts from the body can be promoted by stress, excessive sweating, vomiting or diarrhea, diuretics and alcohol.
How to deal with cramps
A single manifestation of seizures should not cause a person anxiety. It is worth thinking about treatment only if involuntary muscle contraction is repeated quite often. With relapses of seizures, it is necessary to find out the cause of this problem. Only a doctor can help in solving this issue. He will conduct an examination, direct him to take the necessary tests and prescribe therapy in the event of the presence of any pathology.
General recommendations for combating seizures
If the appearance of seizures is not caused by the presence of a serious pathology in the body, but is associated with a deficiency of minerals, then to get rid of the disease it is enough to adhere to several rules:
- A person can cope with a deficiency of magnesium and potassium by taking special medications containing the necessary minerals and vitamins. Improved absorption of these substances by the body contributes to the content of vitamin D within normal limits. You can even increase its level by eating certain foods (for example, cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheese, fish liver). It is also necessary to exclude factors that cause leaching of minerals from the body.
- Taking certain medications can make it harder to absorb magnesium. Such drugs include antacids used during heartburn therapy. In the process of taking the drug components envelop the mucous membrane in the stomach, which in this way is already able to protect itself from the harmful effects of hydrochloric acid. As a side effect, delayed absorption of vitamins from food comes in. You can eliminate this undesirable factor with special medications that help remove magnesium from the cells of the body.
- During pregnancy, all women need to drink vitamin complexes to make up for the loss of magnesium and calcium. When seizures occur, it is necessary to inform the doctor about this, even despite the fact that such a phenomenon is quite common in expectant mothers.
- It is important for every person to ensure the normal functioning of the nervous system, since any stressful situation always contributes to a significant loss of calcium content. This situation can be corrected by including dairy products in the diet and calcium intake.
- Diets that are based on protein products should be abandoned. As you know, protein interferes with the absorption of calcium in the right amount.
- Eliminate the causes of excessive sweating. This problem is especially relevant in the summer. Together with sweat, the body loses magnesium, which can be difficult to replenish in a short period.
Getting rid of cramps in children
Most often in childhood, involuntary muscle contraction is observed at night. You can understand what worries the child if you pay attention to his behavior. Children mostly show the appearance of pain through crying or ask to rub their leg.
The main options in the fight against the appearance of seizures in a child are the following:
- Use warming ointments.
- Apply foot massage.
- Help the child become a foot on the toe, then you need to slightly pinch the area of the lower leg.
- Examine the child for flat feet.
- Enrich your diet with foods that are high in potassium, as well as calcium. You can increase their number in the body with the help of nuts, peanuts, buckwheat, wheat bran, bananas and apples, milk. Eating beans, fish, dairy products, and green vegetables as a child helps make up for the lack of calcium.
How to get rid of leg cramps at night
In the absence of serious disturbances and chronic diseases in the human body, it is possible to cope with the appearance of seizures at night using simple manipulations:
- It is necessary to stretch the muscle. Для выполнения достаточно двигать одной рукой по ноге в направлении снизу вверх, а другой разминать ее. Основной сложностью является пересилить боль, чтобы проделать описанные действия.If there are close people nearby, you can turn to them for help to perform these manipulations.
- If at the time of the cramp there is a pin nearby, you can slightly beat her contracting muscle.
- Sit down and grab your toes with your hand, in which a cramp is felt, then pull the foot as close to you as possible. Such an action should stop the painful contraction of the muscles.
- During a cramp it is recommended to walk on a cold floor. This will help relax the muscles. You can put any wet towel under your feet.
- Pour warm water into the basin and lower your legs there. This procedure will relax the muscles. You can use other methods to warm your legs.
- At the time of the cramp, you can relax the muscles by tingling them. If the muscles become hard, then active points located in the area above the upper lip can be used. The skin in this place must be actively plucked to get rid of the painful muscle contraction.
- To stand with bare feet, bend down without bending your legs, and try to touch the floor with your hands. This exercise helps to stretch your muscles. If the cramps are found in a prone position, then the person needs to stretch his legs and pull the foot to himself, after grasping his fingers with his hands.
- Walk barefoot on the heels for a few minutes on the floor. Cramps will quickly recede.
- Use a warming ointment or apply any warm compress.
If the pain was stopped using the proposed manipulations, then to finally get rid of the residual discomfort in the leg, you can walk on it with any cold object (wet washcloth, ice). This action reduces the risk of seizures the next day.
Folk recipes and methods for cramps
In the fight against the disease, methods well known in the people can be used.
The main methods are:
- Rub the feet with a lemon slice overnight. After the juice has dried, the legs should be wrapped in a plastic bag and put on top of the socks.
- Using an asterisk. You can buy this balm at any pharmacy. They are good at rubbing areas where pain is felt.
- On the calf muscle, you can put mustard moistened in warm water. Then fasten it with a bandage.
- Use vodka tincture made from 25 cloves of garlic. The fruits of this vegetable crop must be chopped and placed in a glass jar, fill with 500 ml of vodka. Tincture is prepared for 12 days. It is recommended to use it before bedtime after preliminary filtering the resulting mixture. Apply tincture on dry skin of the lower leg, combining with a massage of the muscles in the direction from the bottom up the leg. The procedure must be repeated for a month.
- Grind tense muscle with apple cider vinegar.
Prevention of seizures
The following preventative measures can help reduce the risk of seizures:
- Wear comfortable footwear
- exclude long loads on the legs,
- consume less sugar and coffee,
- to refuse from bad habits,
- eat properly and balanced,
- Massage the feet and legs
- do not be nervous.
Any violation in the functioning of the body, including the appearance of seizures, should not be ignored. Self-medication is often dangerous, so it is best to immediately seek the help of a specialist at the first sign of an ailment.