The work of a jewelry master can delight people for millennia. This is a great investment, which rises in price, overgrown with history, and every day decorates the life of the owner. To shine as long as possible, values require simple care, which you will learn by reading this article.
Three simple rules: to store correctly, remove dirt in a timely manner and wear gently.
Caution: not suitable for products with emeralds, pearls and other inserts of organic origin, as well as products with stones with low hardness, and silver products with black and patina.
- Warm soapy solution
- Dishwashing detergent slightly diluted with warm water
- Sweetened clear water
- A weak solution of a mixture of ammonia and ethyl alcohol with water
- Ethyl alcohol for cleaning with special compounds for cleaning gold products and separately silver products
After cleaning with these products, rinse the jewelry with clean water and dry gently.
There is another cleaning method - ultrasonic baths with special cleaning solutions. They are very effective because jewelry is subject to a double effect: mechanical and chemical.
High efficiency turns into contraindications. Bathtubs are prohibited for all products with stones and enamel. Most natural stones have internal inclusions and heterogeneities that, under the influence of vibrations, can form cracks or splits. The same applies to enamels.
With special cosmetics
The most convenient and safe way to care for jewelry with precious stones. The range of Silver includes liquids, foams and wipes for the care of all types of natural stones, gold, platinum and silver alloys, with the exception of products with turquoise, which oxidizes under the influence of moisture.
Be the first to get Silver news - follow us on Facebook, VKontakte and Odnoklassniki!
Effective Gold Jewelry Recovery Options Using Affordable Tools
One of the most effective and gentle cleaning options for gold products is their machining with soft fleecy material. If this manipulation is regularly carried out at home, then the use of aggressive exposure options or the help of specialists will not be needed. Just rub the surface to a shine, carefully working through each area. True, in order to clean old pollution, you will have to pick up something more intense:
- Soap solution. Two approaches to the use of the composition are allowed. In the first case, the products are soaked in a slightly warm product for a couple of hours, after which they are treated with a toothbrush, washed under running water and dried. The second option is more intense and involves boiling items. They are lowered into the composition and boiled for no more than two minutes, then they are pulled out and brushed. Even such a short-term effect will adversely affect the stones, so it is better not to process jewelry with diamonds in this way.
- Soda. Pour a glass of water into a small container, immerse contaminated objects and put on fire. In hot water, add a tablespoon of soda, mix and hold for another couple of minutes. We get the products, brush them, rinse and dry. Rubbing the surface with a soda defect is strictly prohibited! The abrasive scratches the surface, changing its appearance.
- Sweet liquid. Dissolve a tablespoon of sugar in a glass of water, immerse gold in the composition and hold for at least 3-4 hours. Then we wash the item under running water and dry it. Thus, it is recommended to care for jewelry regularly, getting rid of greasy plaque and preventing the appearance of persistent dirt.
- Toothpaste. We put the product on the work surface, take a soft brush and start rubbing the product. Movement must be confident, but without much pressure.
- Onion juice. One of the most affordable home remedies. Just rub the product with onion juice (squeezed or cut) and leave for a couple of hours. After that, the item does not even need to be rubbed, just rinse it under running water and dry it.
- Ammonia with peroxide. A very intensive approach, which is not recommended for use with inserts, especially if it is diamonds or other stones. In a glass of cold water, we dilute three tablespoons of ammonia, two tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of liquid soap. Soak gold in the composition, hold for several hours and rinse.
In addition, there are professional tools for the recovery of precious metals. It is quite simple to use them, but before you clean the product with a finished product, you need to carefully read the instructions.
Basics for quality silverware cleaning
It is necessary to clean silverware quite often. The metal rapidly darkens with regular wear, thus reacting to sulfur, which is contained in the sweat of a person. Fortunately, the metal is not capricious and can be easily restored even at home.
- From warm greasy plaque will relieve slightly warm soapy water. The effectiveness of the approach will increase significantly if a glass of this composition is diluted with a tablespoon of ammonia. Soak the subject for several minutes, after which the surface must be cleaned with a soft cloth.
- A complex event will save you from blackness at home. First, the products are soaked in soapy water for at least two hours. Then rinse and wipe with a soft cloth. Then we apply gruel from tooth powder and ammonia on the surface. Rub it with a soft cloth and scald with boiling water. Then wash under running water and polish until it sparkles.
- If you urgently need to clean the silver, and there is no household chemicals at hand, you can use raw potato juice. We rub it into the surface affected by blackness, leave it for an hour, after which we again carry out the machining and wash the product.
These techniques are categorically not suitable for processing silver jewelry with diamonds, other precious or semiprecious stones.
How to clean diamonds and other stones at home?
Stones require special care, but this does not mean that the owners of such jewelry need to contact professionals. At home, capricious products can also be cleaned, you just need to remember their specifics:
- Sapphires, aquamarines and rubies are characterized by increased density, therefore, in their case, it is allowed to clean with warm water with washing powder or hair shampoo.
Tip: Topazes, garnets and rubies under the influence of high temperatures can change their original color, so you can use only slightly warm or cold water to process them.
- To care for zirconium, diamonds, cubic zirconias is not at all difficult. They respond well to treatment with ammonia or a solution based on laundry soap. Strong and dense diamonds are even allowed to rub with soft brushes.
- Turquoise, pearls and coral negatively respond to chemicals. The maximum that can be done with them is to wipe the flannel.
Experts categorically forbid wetting products on which stones are glued to the surface. They are difficult to clean even mechanically, it is better not to try to do this at home and trust professionals.
Cleaning silver with improvised tools at home
For cleaning silver at home, most often use three tools that are in every home: soda, ammonia and hydrogen peroxide.
Silver can be purified in the following ways:
- Cleaning with soda. In order to clean products with soda, you need to dilute it with water to the state of slurry. Further, with this gruel you need to carefully rub the product to shine and wash it in clean water. However, you should be careful, as grains of soda can cause minor scratches on the product.
- Cleaning with ammonia. There are two possible ways. First: you need to dilute the chalk with ammonia to the state of gruel and rub the product with this substance to shine, and then wash it. Second: lower the product in a 10% solution of ammonia for 15-25 minutes (depending on the degree of silver contamination).
- Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide. It is necessary to carefully wipe and peroxide the product until it is completely cleaned. It is important to know that peroxide does not react with either gold or silver, however, it reacts with many other metals. Therefore, you should not use this method without knowing which metals are in the silver alloy (if the product is made of alloy).
Cleaning gold with improvised tools at home
You can clear gold like this:
- Cleaning with a soap or detergent solution. In a small saucepan, prepare a concentrated solution of liquid soap or detergent. At the bottom, placing a piece of soft cloth under the bottom, lay a golden piece. Boil it for several minutes and wipe it thoroughly.
- Cleaning with powder and ammonia. In a glass of hot water, dilute a tablespoon of washing powder and ammonia. Leave the product in this solution for 1-2 hours.
- Brine cleaning. It is necessary to prepare a concentrated saline solution (about 2-3 tablespoons of salt in half a glass of water) and leave the product in it for the night, and rinse thoroughly in the morning.
- Cleaning with sugar solution. This differs from the previous recipe only in its component - instead of salt, you need to use sugar.
Cleaning products with stones
However, cleaning simple metal products in itself is quite straightforward. Difficulties arise when the product is inlaid with some stone.
Depending on the hardness level of the stone, there are three types:
- Gems (which have a hardness coefficient greater than 5). These include diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and others. Such stones are quite resistant to scratches.
- Semiprecious stones (having a hardness coefficient below five). These include turquoise, malachite, moonstone, opal and other minerals. They are sensitive enough and can be damaged after prolonged contact with water and other liquids.
- Organic stones. These include corals, amber, natural pearls. They do not tolerate alkaline and acidic environments, as well as contact with ammonia.
Each of these types of stones needs special care. And, accordingly, the jewelry in which they are contained, too. Let's analyze it in more detail.
Methods for cleaning products with precious stones:
- Such products can be cleaned thoroughly with alcohol. Soak a cotton swab in alcohol and gently wipe the product, including all hard-to-reach spots. Then wash off the alcohol by dipping the product in an aqueous solution and wipe the product with a dry cloth.
- You can wash the product with a soft cloth dipped in a concentrated soap solution, or a solution of washing powder.
- Jewelry encrusted with diamonds can easily be cleaned with a soft toothbrush dipped in soapy water.
- Also, products with diamonds can be cleaned in a weak solution of ammonia (six drops per glass of water), dropping the product there for half an hour.
- If a fat deposit has formed on the product, then you can get rid of it using the same toothbrush soaked in gasoline.
Cleaning products with organic stones
For organic stones, the following cleaning agents and methods can be used:
- Rinse the product in alcohol solution (50% solution).
- Pearls require especially gentle care. It should be cleaned with a soft brush dipped in soapy water. Then the decoration should be washed with water. More information about one of the varieties of pearls - baroque pearls, can be found here.
- Amber and coral are cleaned dry by rubbing with a suede or flannel cloth.
Single Stone Care
Rules for the care of some stones:
- Diamond and sapphire. These stones should be cleaned with liquid ammonia or a soap solution, wiping with a soft cloth designed for optical glasses. It is worth saving stones from sharp blows or exposure to high temperatures.
- Emerald, topaz, ruby. For these stones use exclusively professional cleaning products. Cleaning at home can damage the stone.
- Amethyst, pomegranate. These stones can also be cleaned in soapy water with a soft cloth or brush. Ultrasonic cleaning is also used. These stones do not like sharp. temperature differences.
- Aquamarine, chrysolite. These stones are cleaned by washing in a solution of ammonia or washing powder. However, the solution should be slightly warmed up, but in no case hot. Avoid getting acid on stones.
- Opal, turquoise. These stones at home can only be cleaned with a dry suede wipe. In no case should you wash these stones or apply ultrasonic cleaning.
Rules for the care and storage of jewelry
- It is worth storing the jewelry in a box, upholstered inside with a soft cloth.
- Products should not constantly contact each other while in the box. Therefore, it is worth choosing a box with multiple compartments or placing jewelry in soft fabric bags before putting it in the box.
- Semi-precious stones can deteriorate from constant contact with direct sunlight. Therefore, for them, the presence of a casket is a prerequisite.
- Also, some stones can deteriorate from heat, or extreme temperature changes. Therefore, the box should be placed away from heat sources.
- About once a year, jewelery should be given for professional cleaning.
- The cleaning process involves polishing with a special cleaning agent and placing the jewelry in an ultrasonic bath (only for the types of stones that suit it).
- The jeweler will also be able to prevent stones from falling out of the jewelry and fasten the clasps.
- You can consult with him about the cleaning and maintenance of your jewelry and purchase cleaning products for stones, which he recommends.
What jewelry is afraid of:
- Temperature. When heated, the stones attract dust and fat to themselves, respectively, after which they will not be able to shine as brightly in the sun as before.
- Mechanical impact. From the mechanical impact on the stones and metal, microcracks appear. They can be invisible to the naked eye, however, products from this lose their original shine and fade.
- Cosmetics. The components that make up cosmetics can react with metals and adversely affect them. From this, spots can appear on the decoration. Apply various creams and lotions, only after removing the jewelry.
Other general care rules:
- It is always necessary to remove jewelry at night, as well as during housework. Doing sports, taking a shower.
- It is also worth protecting products from getting perfume on them, as this can lead to spots on the metal.
- Get a special napkin made of soft material (for example, microfiber) for jewelry and wipe it with jewelry daily after removal.
- Pearls, as a very vulnerable organic stone, need to be stored away from all other jewelry, wrapping it in a soft cloth. Also, if the pearls are not worn for a long time, they may tarnish. Therefore, it is recommended to wear it periodically.
- So that jewelry made of gold and silver with stones does not lose their appearance and for a long time pleases the eyes of their owners, they need special care and periodic cleaning.
- To clean products made of gold and silver most often use improvised means such as soda, ammonia, soap and other detergents, hydrogen peroxide. Solutions and mixtures of these substances are used in different proportions and concentrations, depending on the material and the complexity of the pollution. Such cleaning is also suitable for marcasite jewelry in silver.
- Products with stones require more careful care.
- All stones are divided into three types: solid gems, more fragile semi-precious stones and organic stones. Each type of stone requires special care.
- For each stone, there are recommended cleaning methods and rules of behavior with it. They also need to be considered.
- Jewelery should also be protected from exposure to chemicals, prolonged exposure to water, technical damage, heat and temperature extremes, and cosmetics.
- Jewelry should be stored in a special box with a soft coating.
- At night, jewelry should be removed and wiped with a soft cloth.
- About once a year, jewelry should be given to a jewelry workshop for professional cleaning. You can also purchase special cleaning products for jewelry.
Для очистки ювелирных изделий понадобятся:
• Глубокая тарелка
• 1 столовая ложка соли
• 1 столовая ложка соды
• 1 чайная ложка средства для мытья посуды
• 1 стакан горячей воды
• Алюминиевая фольга
• Бумажное полотенце
• Старая зубная щетка
Инструкция как чистить ювелирные украшения:
1. Collect what you need to create a jewelry cleaner. You can use your favorite dishwashing detergent, or make your own dishwashing detergent. Salt, soda and aluminum foil are needed to create a chemical process for cleaning metals.
2. Place the foil in a plate so that your cleaning agent does not overflow from the foil into the plate (it is better to fold the foil in two layers). Pour salt, soda and foil into the foil.
Then add a glass of hot water and mix a little. Put your jewelry in a cleaner for 10 minutes.
Jewelry Cleaning Solution
3. After 10 minutes, remove the jewelry from a cleaner to a paper towel. Carefully inspect the products and carefully clean them with an old, clear toothbrush. Pay special attention to hard-to-reach spots (embossed design of the product) and the metal around the stones.
After the jewelry has been cleaned with a clear tooth, rinse them with water and dry them.
The last stage of jewelry cleaning
4. A total of several jewelery takes less than 20 minutes to clean.but the joy of the newly sparkling jewelry will last much longer!